Moultrie P180i

I thought I'd just share with you my experience with the Moultrie P180i game camera I purchased a few months ago.

Soon after I bought it I noticed that it would stop detecting motion after a certain period - usually a few hours. Reading this Moultrie on-line forum I discovered that this was a similar problem to that others were experiencing with other Moultrie game camera products. Various solutions were suggested; different batteries, different SD card, ensuring the firmware was most recent, removing the anti-theft bar and others. All of these I tried with no success. After contacting Moultrie customer support and explaining my predicament they suggested returning the camera as faulty. So I sent it back to the local retailer who provided me with a replacement camera. To my immense disappointment this second camera showed exactly the same behaviour. So it was returned and I received a refund of my money.

This was rather distressing for me because in all other respects the camera was excellent. I use trail cameras currently which are left outside for weeks at a time with no problems. Surely a product described as a game camera is not really fit for purpose if it only operates for a few hours without needing to be reset?

The question arises as to whether there are others with similar cameras which are also faulty, but of which they are unaware? Whenever I go out into the bush to extract the SD card and see whether there has been any activity I ALWAYS move in front of the camera and wait a few minutes before turning the camera off and extracting the SD card. This tells me whether the camera is still working and/or whether the batteries are flat.

I'll welcome any responses to this message assuring me that your Moultrie camera is working perfectly. Perhaps I'm just unlucky?

Comments

• I have the same issue with the 180i that I purchased. Battery life is at 90% and the unit shuts down in two days. Frustrating

• Sorry you are having problems. I have the 180i, and have had zero problems. I had it out for a few weeks and had over 1000 pics. Still have plenty of batt power.

• Appear to be having related issue with P180i. Picked on up in early August off Amazon. Didn't get it out until late September, but haven't been thrilled with performance so far. First thing I did was update firmware to latest. Does not seem to want to take pictures. Appears the $219 was to good to be true.

• Mine will not even turn on. I put new batteries and even charged my moultrie external batterry. Any ideas?