M-50i User Manual

Camera works really well, was able to identify what was eating my crops (woodchucks & raccoons).

This manual is poorly written. To a new user it is very confusing. There is no reference to the battery gauge on the display B00% means the batteries are depleted, B99% for fresh batteries. Wasted a lot of time thinking the camera was defective as I was able to power it up, change options and even record a test video but the camera would not record. Turns out batteries were drained (measured 1.12vdc for each battery with a voltmeter). Also there is no specification on the aux. power jack other than 12v input. Other equipment specifies a range ie. 11-14vdc along with current spec ie. 100mA (.1ampere). Does aux, power need to be exactly 12v ?

I couldn't find any setup information on Moultrie's website.

Comments

• I have the same camera and have had the same problems. That manual is terrible and confusing and is missing critical info like basic specifications, including the 12V power jack.
    I had to figure it out myself.
    The qty (12) AA batteries (@1.5V each) = 18V. I actually measured 19.5V with a fresh set of batteries, using a multimeter on each of the springs of the battery tray.
    So basically, the camera can handle between 12-20V. With AA batteries installed, it will select from the higher voltage source.
    So if you have say, 13.2V in the aux jack and a fresh set of AA batteries installed, it will latch to the AA batteries until the voltage is the same/less than the aux jack.
    I've been connected to a remote 12V battery for 8 months now and it's been showing 100% battery life, so that's the best way to go.

The camera can get a little glitchy if the input voltage fluctuates substantially, like if you have 12.7V on the battery and then start to charge it up to 14V. The camera may snap some additional photos and/or miss a time lapse check in.

If I can help with more questions please let me know, as I had to figure this out myself too.

• GeorgeB thank you for your post. I feel the same way about the manual and I’m having the same problems you had trying to figure this thing out (with no help from Moultrie). I’ve emailed Moultrie three times and the only response I’ve gotten back is the email of questions about what they consider “related” to my issue. I answered the first time that no this does not answer my question. Very frustrating. I thought I had setup the camera correctly but after being out for less than two days in my woods the memory card had something like 2,999 images of the same nothing but vegetation. And now even though I thought I had deleted them all th memory card will no longer work in any device. It was brand new. The batteries were also brand new Duracells but ever since then the camera reads B00% which I assumed meant 100% so thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess the 2,999 pictures drained the new batteries. My other issue is I can’t figure out how to have the camera take images only by sensing motion and not with time lapse. How do I turn time lapse completely off Moultrie? Geez!
  • This is my first Moultrie, I have a bunch of Bushnell and they are easy to use and work great. I have been a week figuring out this screwed up manual, and still confused!!!!! I am also trying to figure out how to disable the the time lapse! There is nothing on the website for this new model yet. So pissed I bought this turd of a camera!!! Made sure to pass it along on social media, so my buddies don't end up with this thing.

• Moultrie, are you listening! At least publish an on line manual.

• I have the M50i and the manual is terrible, I agree. I had to figure it all out on my own, and with multiple calls to Moultrie, as well as the help from this forum.

• @GeorgeB said:
    Moultrie, are you listening! At least publish an on line manual.

The manual is on the website.

• @Gjack said:
    This is my first Moultrie, I have a bunch of Bushnell and they are easy to use and work great. I have been a week figuring out this screwed up manual, and still confused!!!!! I am also trying to figure out how to disable the the time lapse! There is nothing on the website for this new model yet. So pissed I bought this turd of a camera!!! Made sure to pass it along on social media, so my buddies don't end up with this thing.

There should be three options: Timelapse, Motion, Timelapse+Motion. If you're only wanting motion, navigate to that option and select it.

• edited October 4

Bought 3x D-50i from Dick's using trade-in promotion - first of all don't know difference between D-50i and M-50i. Don't see D-50i anywhere on Moultrie web site. Got photos a few times but now nothing. Don't know if I am reformatting card incorrectly or if I have turned something on (accidentally) in Motion or Time-lapse menus. Not even sure how to properly start recording (from Quick Start or Custom Start). I have been using Bushnell, Browning, Primos, and recently a Cabellas-branded camera and all are intuitive to setup. This is the weirdest system I've ever seen. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas? And oh yeah - most things are tinted heavily green - assume this is normal for this brand? Thank you for any suggestions.

Well - after posting this, I tried something wild - checked the batteries. All run down on all three cameras. Owned these about 1 week. Either these products are really old and have been on the shelf a long time or the batteries were poor to begin with. Being a promotion from Dick's, I assumed this was a new model from Moultrie. Still have the strong, green tint. Still don't know the difference between a D-50i and an M-50i.

• Someone can confirm but I believe the "D" is because it's a model for Dicks Sporting Goods. It's the same camera as the M50
  • I'm just going to echo some of the same complaints. This is my first game camera and I've spent (wasted) hours of time hunting for basic explanations for setup steps and readouts I'm seeing. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or if I have a defective camera. The Moultrie manual is less than helpful and the Moultrie product videos are all about product promotion with hardly any mention of operating instruction details or troubleshooting. I'm sending it back (more wasted time). This may actually be a good product but it's worthless to me without a clear and complete instruction manual that anticipates the most obvious difficulties users will have to contend with.

• I'm not sure I understand the confusion with the M-50 Manual. I don't have one but when I look at it online, the setup is very similar to all Moultrie cameras.

Every camera manufacture I've used (with the exception of the "Proof" cameras) have a menu that requires the user to navigate up or down to a setting and then adjust it.

Even if you don't like the flow chart in the manual (which is high level and self-explanatory) then it breaks it down to even more detail to get to specifics.

• I am having all the same confusions with operating this camera. I un boxed a brand new camera and not sure what position to leave the switch on to operate it- e.g. Quick, Customer, Off or Aim. Can anyone write in this forum how to set the camera in a field operation mode?

• edited November 28

@hannsm said:
    I am having all the same confusions with operating this camera. I un boxed a brand new camera and not sure what position to leave the switch on to operate it- e.g. Quick, Customer, Off or Aim. Can anyone write in this forum how to set the camera in a field operation mode?

Quick Start has predetermined settings that will allow you to deploy the camera using default settings.
    Custom Start allows you to customize the settings to your preference.
    Aim allows you to see where the sensor will pick up movement. (the sensor light will display when it's triggered
    Off - Turns the camera off.

If you're not very camera savy, just use the Quick Start setting and put the camera in your desired location.

For more details, refer to page 4 of your manual.