Night pictures are black most of the time

Night pictures come out black most of the time. Occasionally I get good night pictures, but mostly black. The infrared flash seem to work when I chech as I set it up. I have an A35 trail camera.

Comments

• Tell us a little more about your set up. Where do you have the camera set up and are pictures coming through ok in the daylight? Maybe post a pic of a daylight one if so.

• I have the camera mounted on a tree in an orchard facing west and the daylight pictures are fine with good detail and color. The problem is after dark.

• Sounds like the filter is sticking or the led's aren't working. Take it in a dark room and see if the led's light up when taking a pic.

• I just purchased a Moultrie A30 after seeing good reviews, why does this camera not pick up night movement? I had camera up for 3 days and I saw a fox from by window in the yard and it was not on the camera so disappointing. ( had camera on Hi Video mode), the fox was approx 70 feet from camera. Great during the days, but nothing at night, My other camera (cheap no name) picks up everything on the slightest movement this one nothing. What am i doing wrong?

• @justina38 said:
    I just purchased a Moultrie A30 after seeing good reviews, why does this camera not pick up night movement? I had camera up for 3 days and I saw a fox from by window in the yard and it was not on the camera so disappointing. ( had camera on Hi Video mode), the fox was approx 70 feet from camera. Great during the days, but nothing at night, My other camera (cheap no name) picks up everything on the slightest movement this one nothing. What am i doing wrong?

I've had no issues getting night pics with mine. 70 feet is a little far for the A30 to pick up a small animal like a fox. For small animals I would set the cam up to be within 40ft and hang it lower to the ground, around 24 inches. I have mine hanging at about 3 1/2 ft high. I get coon, cats, rabbits, and fox night pics, but they are under 30ft from the cam in the pic.

• Thank you for your response, I am going to try your recommendations tonight, appreciate it.

• so again i try. I lowered the camera and walk in front with my dog to see if it captured her and it did I purposely left a piece of meat on the ground and when i viewed the card this morning 3 video, something set it off but nothing captured, me on it leaving and me coming back. Meat was gone so something came thru I think it went off too late. So now I have on hi video and 0 on timer setting any other advise before i return this , is it me? LOL

• Cameras are slower at taking video vs pics, so something could grab and go and be out of the vid. Might dump a little corn in front of your cam. Doesn't have to be corn from a farm store, frozen or can will work.
    https://www.trailcampro.com/collections/wildlife-trail-cameras is a good place to see sample pics/vids and reviews of various cams. If you return your cam it would be a good place to help in the search for your next cam.

• edited December 2018

@woodworker said:
    Night pictures come out black most of the time. Occasionally I get good night pictures, but mostly black. The infrared flash seem to work when I chech as I set it up. I have an A35 trail camera.

Has this been resolved? What does a sticking filter mean and how do you unstick it.
    Our camera was taking great nighttime pictures and then it started have a few that would be black an now all the nighttime pictures are black. This camera is a practically new A35.
    The LEDs are working.

• There is a small mechanical filter that slides in front of the lens depending on the time of day. Occasionally there might be a small plastic bur or some kind of other debris that can keep it from sliding back and forth. Usually, it's a simple as forcing a night pic, then day pic, then night, etc, to make the filter work the bur out itself.

Here's the best thing to do:

Grab your camera and take a daylight picture ( can be indoors, just with good light). Then cover the lens lens and daylight sensor (if it has one, will be right under the lens) with your hand and take another picture. Repeat this a few time and see if that fixes the issue; if not, call customer support as the filter itself may have given up the ghost.