Moultrie/Pradco new 4G Modem

So now that the 4G modem is in most of the bigger box store catalogs, I have to ask why Pradco and or Moultrie isn't saying anything about these new 4G modems? And why they stopped making the MV1 when the new 4G model isnt available yet? Speculating, I'm guessing no more MV1s were ordered because there was a minimum unit order that was going to be more product than they would sell because the new 4G is going to lay the MV1 to bed ultimately? I know a lot of people are looking to buy the MV1 or the new 4G unit but none are available, I can only guess how much money was lost not having product ready to sell.

I would love to see some response, I mean we are posting on the official Moultrie/Pradco forums after all.

Comments

• I've heard several people say they can't find either model in local stores. It's been hit or miss for me. Some stores will have the 3G version, others will not. I haven't seen the 4G version in stores, only in advertising.

Lots of factors that go into switching the models over. It's possible there was a hiccup but I would be highly surprised if they don't get it ironed out soon if so. They sell very well and it's clear that's the direction the industry is going.

• @Proaction14 Moultrie has yet to make an official announcement on our new 4G LTE products due to still being in the development and testing phase. Rest assured, we are trying to be as transparent as possible while still maintaining the high quality products Moultrie is known for producing.
    With regards to the MV1 it was obviously in much higher demand than we anticipated. Because of Moultrie’s strong partnership with Verizon Wireless we have worked out a solution that will keep your system running through the end of 2019. We will work through rolling over users from 3G to 4G when that time comes. So for now, rest assured that you can continue to use your Moultrie Mobile system as you have from the beginning.

We will update you as soon as more information is available.

• @Moultrie_Queen said:
    @Proaction14 Moultrie has yet to make an official announcement on our new 4G LTE products due to still being in the development and testing phase. Rest assured, we are trying to be as transparent as possible while still maintaining the high quality products Moultrie is known for producing.
    With regards to the MV1 it was obviously in much higher demand than we anticipated. Because of Moultrie’s strong partnership with Verizon Wireless we have worked out a solution that will keep your system running through the end of 2019. We will work through rolling over users from 3G to 4G when that time comes. So for now, rest assured that you can continue to use your Moultrie Mobile system as you have from the beginning.

We will update you as soon as more information is available.

So at this time nothing is available?

• I purchased a 3g MV1 unit online in August 2018 and was temporarily very happy with it. Now I find out that the $150 modem will not have any functionality in 16 months and will turn into a $150 paper weight?!?! How can a company knowingly sell and market a product that will be obsolete in almost a year? I understand liquidating old inventory, especially for a product with outdated features, but this product will have NO features in a year. It has an expiration date that will barely outlast the $8 batteries I put in it. I feel swindled. Is there any plan to provide discounts for those of us foolish enough to invest in a 3g model? More specifics than "we will work through rolling over users from 3g to 4g when that time comes"..
  • @jcg001 I guess you got 16 months to use something with a 2 yr warranty. I haven't noticed a modem for sale anywhere in a while, especially after the news from Verizon. I'm sure Moultrie will help you out the best they can. They've always looked after us.

• And now they are throwing sales tax on top! Quickly pricing themselves out of the cellular market. Covert here I come.
  • @dpekera said:
    And now they are throwing sales tax on top! Quickly pricing themselves out of the cellular market. Covert here I come.

Covert is going to charge you the same tax. This isn't a Moultrie tax. Contact your Congressman if you're unhappy.

• LoL, don't really care.
  • I'll be interested in what the "X" series of cameras from Moultrie will bring. I'm still on the fence if I prefer the separate modem unit like the current Mobile or an integrated unit.

• @UTGrad said:
    I'll be interested in what the "X" series of cameras from Moultrie will bring. I'm still on the fence if I prefer the separate modem unit like the current Mobile or an integrated unit.

I too am really intrigued by the "X Series". Like most things in life, there is a time and a place for everything. In most instances, I actually prefer the separate units. I like if a camera goes down that within a day I can be back up and running. (such as happened to us a couple times with bears) With an integrated unit, you're possibly out weeks or even months to get it repaired and returned.

That being said, the USB connection is certainly the weak link in the set up. I think if Moultrie would place the USB connection behind the door of the camera, thus not allowing it to be pulled out, they'd have a pretty solid set up. Of course they'd need to do the same for the Modem as well.

Guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of the X Series.

• Where have you seen anything about X series? I’ve never heard of those yet.
  • @Jriedy85 said:
    Where have you seen anything about X series? I’ve never heard of those yet.

If you purchase a 2018 model camera, it's on the side of the box where it outlines the features of each series. So far, that's all I've found on them. I mentioned in another thread, clearly I'm not a great detective as I can't find anything else online about them. haha

• > @Moultrie_Queen said:
    > Because of Moultrie’s strong partnership with Verizon Wireless we have worked out a solution that will keep your system running through the end of 2019.

Such propaganda - you really think that anyone believes this? Your partnership with Verizon is why they are keeping the 3G network online.. cmon guys

This is why I don’t own any more moutrie..
    Lack of communication from moultrie is why I sold all my Moultries. I took the money I got from selling them online (got more for used modems than what they cost new) and bought 16 cuddelink and 2 cuddeback modems. Work flawlessly- I’m getting 2 months on a set of AA and can increase that with the batteryback they sell.

Here’s a message to moultie— communicate with your customers or they won’t stay your customers.

I love the moultrie app and user interface- yes I had problems at first, everyone did, they were trying to get their crap together. But then they worked and worked great. Not knowing what end of 3G is going to do or if my modems would still work next year or when the 4G was going to be available. See ya later Moultire.
  • @moultriehunter
    would you mind doing a comparison of Moultrie vs Cuddleback vs others? What made you go with Cuddleback vs Covert, or others?
    Good/bad?
    thanks

• Sure here’s the problem with covert.. they make great cameras. Whoever designed the wireless firmware should be fired (most likely outsourced to India anyway) I think that my covert Blackhawk cameras or whatever they called their Verizon cell cam probably took the best pictures (on the SD card) the 320x200 or whatever low res was comparable to what you get with moultire or cuddeback. A low res image is just that but high res I think covert did a great job. Here is where it all falls apart and why their wireless sucks (or did, maybe they fixed it now this was last year)

Covert will take a photo, then try to immediately send it which takes time. If you do muliple burst photo like 3 or 5 or 10 it will store all those on the SD card but only transmit the last one. This is where they fall on their face and what happens when you have someone that doesn’t hunt develop your product. If I have my delay set on 5 or 15 seconds and I snap a photo it will need to send it before it resets to take another photo, so the dwell time is pretty much useless because it takes anywhere from 45seconss to 2 minutes to send that pic. Basically you get a picture of a doe and never the buck or 6 other deer that came after her. And their mobile app basically sucks.

Moultire app is awesome, yes I had to pay for multiple modems and service but the cameras have their own set of batteries and the modems have theirs. It shows what percentage battery is left for modem and camera. If the modem dies their cameras go 6-8 months on a set of aa so you pull the card still get your pics. Basically just because your modem died you not missing photos. Another great thing is you can request the high res remotely and next time the modem check in it will send you the higher resolution photo. You can change your settings on your cameras remotely which is also great. The cons are multiple modems, bulky, hard to hide (if that’s a concern), has a USB wire connecting the modem to camera. Have to pay for service for each modem/camera not bad if you have 3 or 4 but when your running 12 like I was it gets expensive.

Bushnell trophy cam i think they were called, used these like 4 years ago, prob changed a great deal since I would imagine, expensive monthly fee, took good photos, high res photos cost .99 cents to download remotely. Battery life was good, mobile app was not great but also not crap. Seem to hold up well my buddy still has his 8 and they are going strong. All in one unit like the covert, batteries lasted like 3 months depending on photos, needless to say when they were dead- no pics.

Now the cuddeback. Overall I am pleased, have a great range between the home and remote cameras. Batteries last around 2 months, they have a D cell backpack thing which my buddy said he uses and gets like 6 months but that is sold separately. Some places I hunt have crap cell coverage, this is perfect because typically by the road I have signal but further in I do not I can deploy the cameras where there is no signal and they will daisy chain back to the cell home modem via their RF wireless to transmit. I have as many as 6 hops from my farthest camera. They don’t have an app so image management is a pain and you can’t make setting changes remotely so if you want to change your time lapse setting or photo burst mode or delay you need to be infront of the camera. Cuddeback has this fast triggerspeed narrow PIR sensor, I don’t get as many pics as I used to but I think it’s cause I get almost 0 blank photos and 0 squirrels and coons and such. I will do a test with another brand on the same tree to make sure I’m not missing deer. The low res photos are good evough high res is on the camera. You can designate any camera as a home and just check the sd card on that one if you don’t have the cell home. They are also not perfect. It sends a nightly email showing all cameras connected their signal leave and battery status. If your friends have cuddelink cameras they can link to your setup easily if you allow them and can add up to 10 email addresses to get the photos and status reports. I wish they had an app, I wish I could change setting remotely, I wish battery showed a level instead of “OK” or “LOW” at low I have about 5 days to get to it. I wish they would Sync time automatically, PIA to deploy a camera with wrong date and time. $20 a month or 30$ for unlimited.

Guess that’s about it. So far I’m very pleased with the Cuddeback and their support is very helpful and responsive. I miss my moultie app most of all but I don’t miss the monthly bills. Based on the distances I’m getting between my cudde cameras and the photos I get I recommend it.

I’m a big fan of moultire, on my recommendation I’ve sold hundreds cameras and modems for them. they need to remember their customers come first.

Good luck this season!
  • thanks for the detail, this is greatly appreciated!

• @moultriehunter Thanks, that's helpful. Not having an app and not being able to adjust settings remotely is a deal-breaker for me. The closest I have a modem is 6 hours away from me.

• > @RocklockHunter said:
    > @moultriehunter Thanks, that's helpful. Not having an app and not being able to adjust settings remotely is a deal-breaker for me. The closest I have a modem is 6 hours away from me.

I get that but honestly I didn’t make many changes with my app on my cameras so at first I thought it was gonna be a big issue not haveing a app but now all my pics are in one text thread and time stamped so I can scroll thru them. Once I would set my cameras that was pretty much it for me, sometimes I would change it from 3 photo burst to single shot when I get getting close to my data cap for the month. But I get it.. they do send a nightly status that shows all connected cameras, signal strength number of photos etc.
  • The filter feature in the app is also very useful. Being able to sort by tags or cameras, time ect is very helpful to me. Sure, I could store all the images in a cloud based system and tag them but why do that myself when the app already does that for me.

• I really like the Moultrie App, but I find that any time I make a change to the timelapse and or motion settings, that the camera get's glitchy for 24-48 hours. It may do the next check in, but then miss several check in's after that.

• edited October 19

I saw last night the new 4G modem was available for preorder at Bass Pro. I didn't go through the full checkout process but when you put it in the cart, is says "Available to ship on October 24th"

Interestingly enough, it shows available in a Verizon and AT&T version.

• > @RocklockHunter said:
    > I saw last night the new 4G modem was available for preorder at Bass Pro. I didn't go through the full checkout process but when you put it in the cart, is says "Available to ship on October 24th"
    >
    > Interestingly enough, it shows available in a Verizon and AT&T version.

Just checked both Bass Pro and Cabela's and neither show for sale. Cabela's did carry and I did pre order but they have since cancelled order and are no longer showing for sale
  • @dpekera Not sure where you're looking, but it's on Bass Pro's site. See the screenshot below of it in the cart.

• Wish Moultrie would tell us something.
  • It’s on the Moultrie site. Just not for sale.
  • We have it up on our website also. It will be in stock very soon and it stores also! Stay tuned. If you aren't on our email list, go to our website and sign up and expect an email as soon as they are in stock!

• > @Moultrie_Queen said:
    > We have it up on our website also. It will be in stock very soon and it stores also! Stay tuned. If you aren't on our email list, go to our website and sign up and expect an email as soon as they are in stock!

Do we know what’s going to happen to our 3g modems after the sun setting?
  • Bass pro has it on their site but Cabela's does not at least here in Garner NC
  • Is there a difference between 4G and LTE ? and if so....... If they decide 4G isn't enough will LTE carry the torch going forward?
  • @dpekera said:
    Is there a difference between 4G and LTE ? and if so....... If they decide 4G isn't enough will LTE carry the torch going forward?

Really high level: "4G" stand for simply fourth generation. "LTE" stands for "Long Term Evolution" which isn't so much as a technology as it is an idea or process.

A requirement is placed that data be transferable at a specific speed to be considered 4G. When it was introduced, a lot of manufacturers couldn't reach that goal but could get close. So if they got close or it was a significant improvement over 3G, then they were allowed to use the term "LTE".

So to specifically answer your question, 4G will be around for a while until it's likely replaced with 5G. LTE is nothing more than a gameplan.