Unreliable systems no matter what you do!

I have done everything Moultrie customer service has suggested to make my wireless systems work. New batteries, new sd cards, new cameras, more new sd cards, 4 new Moultrie 12 volt batteries with battery box, solar panel, move modem, move camera and I always get the same results. A system that works for a few days and shuts down. I have never felt like I have been scammed until I got involved with Moultrie’s modem system. The people within the customer service department are incompetent and act like you’re a complete idiot when you’re talking with them. I’ve purchased over 30 Moultrie cameras in the past and currently run 8 Moultrie Cams. I’ve always been happy with Moultrie until getting involved with their wireless system. I’ve got friends that run the covert system and have no issues. I’m off this broken Moultrie train Asap.

Comments

• You posted the same thing in two threads so I'll post my response in both in hopes that you will see it.

@swbuck I hate to hear you're having issues. I'm not trying to minimize your struggles, but just to let you know, not everyone is having issues. I've been running them from the start and only a few small challenges have occurred. They stay out year round for us.

I know you're frustrated but could you explain what is going on? Maybe someone can try to help you here.

• My systems very seldom work longer than a week. Once I get the systems up and running, one system will go dead after a couple days. Dead batteries or just quit sending pictures. I’ve set up both systems in my back yard trouble shooting them and get same result. Anytime I have to change batteries or change memory cards it’s a 1-2 hour process getting the system to work again. I just tried a new 12 volt Moultrie battery box and dead in 3 days. Both systems when working will not send all pictures that are triggered. I’ve got the recommended memory cards and batteries. The app will show random connection times that don’t even make sense. Like, last connection time of tomorrow’s date and a random time. Dang, if I could get 2 weeks out of the systems without having any issues and just have to change a battery I would be happy. I spend more time in my hunting area trying to fix these systems than I do hunting. Very frustrating.

One system shows full signal and the other shows 3-4 bars of signal in my hunting areas. Both systems have the M40i cameras. Sd cards are San Disk 8gig sdhc.
  • Myself included along with at least three others that I know have problems with this system. To me it just isn't as reliable as last year. I'm going to give it this season but then that's probably all for me. Went out this morning to move system to new location. Stood in front of the camera walking back and forth for probably five minutes. No pictures. Didn't get those pictures until I "woke" it up at the new location. Then.... Once setup and awake and synced I saw pictures on app before I got the text alerts. It also didn't load any pics until about five minutes after setup was complete. I honestly can't trust if the system is working while I'm typing this. Also.... Once I removed card and matched up photos texted and what the card saved, out of 40 pics taken only 24 transmitted through modem.
  • > @dpekera said:
    > Myself included along with at least three others that I know have problems with this system. To me it just isn't as reliable as last year. I'm going to give it this season but then that's probably all for me. Went out this morning to move system to new location. Stood in front of the camera walking back and forth for probably five minutes. No pictures. Didn't get those pictures until I "woke" it up at the new location. Then.... Once setup and awake and synced I saw pictures on app before I got the text alerts. It also didn't load any pics until about five minutes after setup was complete. I honestly can't trust if the system is working while I'm typing this. Also.... Once I removed card and matched up photos texted and what the card saved, out of 40 pics taken only 24 transmitted through modem.

Dpekera, I’m at my wits end dealing with these things also. I feel like Im part of some damn experiment on how crazy a person will go if you keep messing with their stuff. Totally unreliable! So yesterday I put all new batteries in camera and modem. The 12volt battery that was there had died after 3 days. Everything finally synced up but wouldn’t send a picture but the camera was taking pics. I said heck with it and just left. I was hoping the system would just start sending after a bit. Nope, no pics. I go back out to setup today and batteries are dead in camera and modem. Brand new box of batteries!! So i replaced the batteries in the camera and hooked up my 12 volt battery box that I re-charged. (This same system drained that battery in 3 days previously). Changed the sd card out powered everything up and bam, worked like a champ. Sent pics immediately when testing. I even received a couple pics of deer today. I went into the settings and changed it to upload 2 times per day, so I haven’t received anything since this afternoon. If history repeats itself, the deer pics I got this afternoon will probably be the last ones I receive. I’ve lost all hope!
  • I feel your pain. New location yesterday but not a location that I haven't had corn out in the last week &1/2. So far only pics were of me walking away. Not confident that the modem hasn't shut down for some reason. And will again half to walk my ass it there to WAKE UP THE FRIGGIN MODEM this afternoon.
  • Bummer. I didn’t receive any photos through the night either. I’m gonna box this piece up and send it back!!
  • @swbuck, if a 12v battery is dying in 3 days, there are some major issues. Either it's not fully charged, won't hold a charge or something is draining it rapidly. I get more than 6 months on mine and in the off season, (based on my math) I should get about 9 months.

That issue could be the root cause of your issues. If you can get that fixed, it may clear up the other issues.

FWIW, I haven't had any real issues this year other than one hiccup. I had a delay in sending them for a few days and then they eventually all came through.

• edited September 26

As far as I know the only issues I had were a camera going bad while hooked to the modem. When I got to it the screen flickered and saw no SD. It was a 990i and took incredible pics while it lasted.

The first season I had it set up in deep swamp with heavy canopy. My signals averaged 20 to 40% and everything was sent on the card. Like clockwork.

Last season I had issues with signal. It was more than likely Verizons 3g. Modem wouldn't work in same places. It was more than likely heat and canopy related because I had near 100% signal in the colder months. I had issues with time lapse coming in with the intervals wrong for months. I swapped the modem and had no more issues.

This season everything is working ok it seems. My signals are always below 50% where its located. My M40i is still on 100 percent after 2+ months. Matter of fact it took about 100 pics of the forestry dozer plowing my plot and dropped to 97%. It returned to 100%. With dollar store batteries. I hooked a 12v to the modem so I dont have to touch that one hopefully the rest of the year.

The S50i was picking up deer at 50 yards last year. The M40i seems to be triggering at 120 ft plus. I love my A35s and A30i.

If something is killing a 12v or any battery in a few days, I'd guess it to be equipment or battery related. I use a class 4 16gb card in mine.

• > @donejones said:
    > As far as I know the only issues I had were a camera going bad while hooked to the modem. When I got to it the screen flickered and saw no SD. It was a 990i and took incredible pics while it lasted.
    >
    > The first season I had it set up in deep swamp with heavy canopy. My signals averaged 20 to 40% and everything was sent on the card. Like clockwork.
    >
    > Last season I had issues with signal. It was more than likely Verizons 3g. Modem wouldn't work in same places. It was more than likely heat and canopy related because I had near 100% signal in the colder months. I had issues with time lapse coming in with the intervals wrong for months. I swapped the modem and had no more issues.
    >
    > This season everything is working ok it seems. My signals are always below 50% where its located. My M40i is still on 100 percent after 2+ months. Matter of fact it took about 100 pics of the forestry dozer plowing my plot and dropped to 97%. It returned to 100%. With dollar store batteries. I hooked a 12v to the modem so I dont have to touch that one hopefully the rest of the year.
    >
    > The S50i was picking up deer at 50 yards last year. The M40i seems to be triggering at 120 ft plus. I love my A35s and A30i.
    >
    > If something is killing a 12v or any battery in a few days, I'd guess it to be equipment or battery related. I use a class 4 16gb card in mine.

Thanks for the info. I have to have a bad modem. They are sending me a replacement after a huge hassle. I’ve got one unit that’s still working fine after about 5 days. If the replacement modem doesn’t fix the issue, I’m done. I will just leave a camera there with no modem.
  • Currently standing at camera and modem. Walked up, picture was taken but still haven't received text alert. Picture did come up in app. Changed batteries simply because I have them with me and I don't trust the battery gauge and never have. I've never received a low battery notification EVER.
  • So received a text for the picture at 1:33 but never for the picture at 1:25 when I first walked in.
  • I have had the modem for at least a year or more. Worked great up until a few months ago. Sent the camera and modem in for diagnosing. Kept the unit for at least a month. My issue was requesting and receiving Hi Res pictures. I was told the sd card was bad and they sent me one. Got it back and put back in place. Haven't had a lot of faith in it since. Half the time it doesn't want to send pictures. the app doesn't seem to want to load. Now I am not receiving push notifications on the phone. Deleted the cache of the app and deleted the app and reinstalled the app and still problems. Have went to the camera and restarted the modem and camera and same issues. When it works it works. Unfortunately To me it seems like it doesn't work more than it does.

• Sorry to hear of all the other issues folks are having. Customer service tried to act like I was only one of a few having major issues. If I handled my customers the way they do, I would be out of business. On a positive note, my troubled unit all of a sudden started sending pictures this evening. It’s truly possessed!!
  • > @TRM_1 said:
    > I have had the modem for at least a year or more. Worked great up until a few months ago. Sent the camera and modem in for diagnosing. Kept the unit for at least a month. My issue was requesting and receiving Hi Res pictures. I was told the sd card was bad and they sent me one. Got it back and put back in place. Haven't had a lot of faith in it since. Half the time it doesn't want to send pictures. the app doesn't seem to want to load. Now I am not receiving push notifications on the phone. Deleted the cache of the app and deleted the app and reinstalled the app and still problems. Have went to the camera and restarted the modem and camera and same issues. When it works it works. Unfortunately To me it seems like it doesn't work more than it does.

Right now I almost think it turns off after I walk away 😆
  • Bahahahaha, troubled unit quit sending pics once again. The new modem has arrived today so within the next few days I will swap it out. I’ll post results when new modem is changed out.
  • I have two modems. One was working this fall, the other not.. Now that one stopped sending pictures a couple of days ago.. I'm told "check the plug" and "replace batteries." Just a system that is good in theory, but doesn't actually work consistently.

• New Modem Update.

New modem has been put in place. Took pics while I was there and later that afternoon. Unit didn’t send another pic for a few days. I went back out there moved the entire unit to the top of a mountain and changed to a different camera. Set unit up, everything connected and started sending pictures immediately of me working on mineral site. Not a single picture has been received since I left. I had a camera in place there already and was getting plenty of pictures so I know there is activity. I’ve got one unit that has been working fine for the last couple weeks. Very frustrating. There must be a problem with the M40i and M40’s with the modems. That being said my system that works has a M40i and has been working good lately.
  • Are you finding pictures on the SD card that are not transmitting through the modem?

• > @RocklockHunter said:
    > Are you finding pictures on the SD card that are not transmitting through the modem?

Yes.
  • Is Moutrie having issues again? Site doesn't say much. My wireless system stopped showing new pics about a week ago. Modem batteries were suddenly dying so I changed them. System says it sees my modem and camera, but no pics are coming through. I usually get pics daily. I even walked past the camera to insure there was a trip, but that pic didn't show up either. Had to do the whole reformat SD card a few months back, do I need to do that again???

• Well I figured it out, somewhat. Even though I changed the setting off video, the system never changed it on my camera. So it was recording video constantly. Had to go pull SD card and look at it to see what it was doing. Thanks for all the non help.

• @Robster Glad you figured it out. Yeah, Moultrie doesn't support video transmission. I think it's page 4 of the manual.

• @swbuck

So to calibrate:

• Your new modem is having the same issue as the one you sent back?
    • Your 2nd modem isn't experiencing these issues?
    • Is the one you're having issues with in the same area as the one you're not having issues with?
    • Did you take the magnetic strip off the door of the camera?
    • Are you using the same camera on this modem as you did with the one you sent back?

I haven't heard anything about having issues with the M40 working with MM. I, myself have one hooked up to a modem and haven't had any issues.

• edited October 4
    > @RocklockHunter said:
    > @swbuck
    >
    > So to calibrate:
    >
    >
    > * Your new modem is having the same issue as the one you sent back?
    > * Your 2nd modem isn't experiencing these issues?
    > * Is the one you're having issues with in the same area as the one you're not having issues with?
    > * Did you take the magnetic strip off the door of the camera?
    > * Are you using the same camera on this modem as you did with the one you sent back?
    >
    > I haven't heard anything about having issues with the M40 working with MM. I, myself have one hooked up to a modem and haven't had any issues.

The new modem is doing the same thing. So I moved modem and hooked it up to another camera. The place where I moved modem to has great service. Everything worked great until I left and apparently the modem went to sleep and never woke back up. I’ve removed all the security strips in all of my M40i’s and M40’s.

I have another unit in the same area with same type camera that has been working fine for the past 3 weeks.
  • That's helpful-and certainly odd.

If you changed out cameras, that should rule out a camera issue.
    If you got a new modem, that should rule out a modem issue.
    If you have good service, that rules out that.
    If you have removed the security strip, that rules it out also.

Can you post a screen shot of your settings?

• > @RocklockHunter said:
    > That's helpful-and certainly odd.
    >
    > If you changed out cameras, that should rule out a camera issue.
    > If you got a new modem, that should rule out a modem issue.
    > If you have good service, that rules out that.
    > If you have removed the security strip, that rules it out also.
    >
    > Can you post a screen shot of your settings?
  • Do you randomly get a pic, or does it just quit all together?
    Set a short time lapse for an hour with 30 minute interval and see what happens.
    Could be similar to my issue. I guess the modem still checks in each day?

• > @donejones said:
    > Do you randomly get a pic, or does it just quit all together?
    > Set a short time lapse for an hour with 30 minute interval and see what happens.
    > Could be similar to my issue. I guess the modem still checks in each day?

I’ll try what you have suggested.

Once I leave the area, I don’t receive anything. I’m not sure if the camera checks in or not. I’m done with wasting my time with customer service. I’ve wasted enough time with them.
  • The dashboard shows the last connection time.

• > @donejones said:
    > The dashboard shows the last connection time.

Shows last connection of 10/02/18 at 8:48pm. The connection times have never been accurate. It will show me a connection time of a future date and time that makes no sense. That connection time was probably what It showed when I set the camera up on 10/01/18