Discount on MV2?

I've had the MV1 for over 2 years now. During that time, I've had countless issues with cameras and service. Pretty much the first year that I had Moultrie Mobile, I was without service for or without a functioning camera for more than half a year. Suffice to say, the quality of service is severely lacking the competition.

During one my calls to Moultrie Mobile support last spring, the customer service rep said that once the MV2 came it out that Moultrie might consider discounting it for existing users wishing to upgrade. Does anyone know about any discount or trade-in available to current users?

Comments

• We are waiting to hear from someone from
    Moultrie about this. For me it’s gonna have to be a significant discount or I’m gonna take the opportunity to jump ship to another brand of camera unfortunately.
  • Catch more flies with honey. lol. I just want it to work good when I get one. Maybe a mobile set up that tells a feeder to go off on demand, and some illegal immigrants to run out of the bushes and clean the mud out my tower.

• I’ve been with Moultrie since they came out with these modems. I’m starting to lose my patience though.
  • I started July of '16. Of course I screwed up to start with, no firmware. lol. Worked good that first season. I think they will be in better shape with 4g. When my phone goes to 3g, its basically useless now. It's a wonder the modem has worked the last year.

• Idk if they were first to the cellular trail camera game but I think they should have it perfected by now. Hopefully the 4G modem works well.
  • The video clips and clear pictures of Spartan look incredible compared to Moultrie. And their monthly pricing and ability to bundle cameras will more than make up for the hardware difference over time. I'm waiting to see what Moultrie offers on MV2- if it's not going to subsidize them for existing frustrated customers, I'll jump ship in the spring.

• edited November 14

I read the Spartan reviews. And someone that used one told their experiences. They seem to have issues and angry customers as well. You can read them on their FB page. Their 3g customers are having fits. You still have to pay 5 bucks to Verizon to add a device which is half of a small plan fee now. Get a few videos and I hope you have unlimited data. If it tears up on day 731 you are out $460 for one unit. Since, I will have other Moultrie cameras, the most I'll ever be out after 2 yrs is $160. I'm gonna have faith Moultrie gets it going like a well oiled machine.

• Two guys on my lease have been using Spartan since August with absolutely no issues. In that time, 5 other guys with Moultrie have had A) gone extended periods of time w/o service despite having full batteries B) made the 400 mile round trip out to the lease just to troubleshoot their cameras or C) ditched Moultrie Mobile altogether and just went to old SD cards.

Personally, I went a 3-week period in early October with no service at all. And then it all started working magically again on its own. These issues are par for the course with Moultrie.

• @gringobling said:
    Two guys on my lease have been using Spartan since August with absolutely no issues. In that time, 5 other guys with Moultrie have had A) gone extended periods of time w/o service despite having full batteries B) made the 400 mile round trip out to the lease just to troubleshoot their cameras or C) ditched Moultrie Mobile altogether and just went to old SD cards.

Personally, I went a 3-week period in early October with no service at all. And then it all started working magically again on its own. These issues are par for the course with Moultrie.

Sounds like a Verizon 3g issue instead of Moultrie on that. Unless the Spartans were 3g too. The 4g is out and hopefully solves service issues with some of it. On some of my stands where it drops to 3g my smartphone becomes useless. If they ever add more than one modem to a plan I'm sure I'd get some more. But, for now....I have entertainment from home.

• I just read on their Facebook someone made a comment asking about what they are gonna do about all of us that already own 3G modems. The guy from Moultrie said “the modems will work through the end of 2019 and they will announce what they are gonna do about the 3G modem people closer to the end of 2019”

I was really hoping to not have to wait that long to get an answer. I want to get more cameras but I don’t want to commit to Moultrie until I know what they are going to do about our 3G modems.
  • It would be great if they would, but I certainly don't expect it. I will have got 3.5 years out them by that point. Hard to argue that I need a discount because I wasn't able to use it long enough at that point. Even when Moultrie pulled them from the shelves, people could still get about 2 years out of them. That would even fulfill the warranty time.

I guess what I'm saying is that while it would be awesome if Moultrie did that for its customers, I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect it. It's technology which goes out of date quickly.

• @RocklockHunter said:
    It would be great if they would, but I certainly don't expect it. I will have got 3.5 years out them by that point. Hard to argue that I need a discount because I wasn't able to use it long enough at that point. Even when Moultrie pulled them from the shelves, people could still get about 2 years out of them. That would even fulfill the warranty time.

I guess what I'm saying is that while it would be awesome if Moultrie did that for its customers, I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect it. It's technology which goes out of date quickly.

I understand what you're saying regarding technology. And I would agree with you IF that technology did what it was supposed to do and IF the customers got what they paid for over the course of time. I think almost every customer would agree that owning the hardware and paying for the service has been far from a painless experience. I literally paid $20 a month for many months where I had no service at all. That's where Moultrie should step up if they want to keep us repeat customers. If not, I'm certainly jumping ship after this season.

• @gringobling said:

@RocklockHunter said:
    It would be great if they would, but I certainly don't expect it. I will have got 3.5 years out them by that point. Hard to argue that I need a discount because I wasn't able to use it long enough at that point. Even when Moultrie pulled them from the shelves, people could still get about 2 years out of them. That would even fulfill the warranty time.

I understand what you're saying regarding technology. And I would agree with you IF that technology did what it was supposed to do and IF the customers got what they paid for over the course of time. I think almost every customer would agree that owning the hardware and paying for the service has been far from a painless experience. I literally paid $20 a month for many months where I had no service at all. That's where Moultrie should step up if they want to keep us repeat customers. If not, I'm certainly jumping ship after this season.

Why didn't you have service?

• Multiple reasons regarding faulty cameras. Countless time troubleshooting issues until they finally replaced my POS m999i with a new s50i. More issues after that with the actual service from Verizon. Service would just randomly stop (this happened to all of the guys on my lease). Sometimes it would start back up again on its own. Sometimes it would require a trip to the lease to reset the modem. Total PITA. And 3G is obviously a dinosaur that has more and more towers going out of service every month.

• Also had MANY battery issues. The instructions that came with the cameras state to use one kind of battery, while Moultrie support tells you to use a different kind of battery. Same with SD cards...had to replace with the most antiquated cards that you can find. Also would get out there to the lease with them on the phone and they had me move the equipment around and move it back to the original spot...all kinds of stuff like that, as well that put me out of commission. App was REALLY spotty and crashed a lot for quite a while, but it's working well since the last major update.

• Even covert has an upgrade system in place for out of date cameras and technology regardless of how old the camera is
  • > @Jriedy85 said:
    > We are waiting to hear from someone from
    > Moultrie about this. For me it’s gonna have to be a significant discount or I’m gonna take the opportunity to jump ship to another brand of camera unfortunately.

Moultrie is turning into a very unreliable modem camera combo stay away unless you don't mind wasting money because they don't warranty anything they blame Verizon. It unfortunate they hide behind someone else
This discussion has been closed.