Well Just got the XV-7000i

Well I received my new XV-7000i yesterday and activated it. Seems to be a great camera so far. One major thing I noticed was the strength of the signal compared to the two MV2s I have. I placed the XV out within 50 yards of one of my MV2 modems and the XV is showing 100% signal the MV2 shows anywhere from 37% to 57% strength. I wonder if the XV has a better antenna setup inside of it. The test will be when I move it to the farm where the signal has been really spotty for the MV1 and MV2 which I have never seen show more than around 40% signal and sometimes around 10% Of course I realize the signal strength shown may not be very accurate any any of the devices. I see Moultrie now offers a steel security box for the XV wonder how bad it would affect the signal? I know I am taking a huge chance without one of the bears tearing it apart or damaging it.

Comments

• My MV2 is showing about 43% signal in the same spot I had the MV1 for 3 years. It usually showed around that same strength in hot weather with full foliage. The MV1 is in the lowest spot of a flood plain, with full tulip poplar canopy. and walls of uncut pines on both sides. It's showing 100%. lol. It wouldnt even connect down there the last 2 years in multiple areas.

Maybe the XV does have a better signal.

• > @donejones said:
    > My MV2 is showing about 43% signal in the same spot I had the MV1 for 3 years. It usually showed around that same strength in hot weather with full foliage. The MV1 is in the lowest spot of a flood plain, with full tulip poplar canopy. and walls of uncut pines on both sides. It's showing 100%. lol. It wouldnt even connect down there the last 2 years in multiple areas.
    >
    > Maybe the XV does have a better signal.

I sure hope it has a better signal. I use US Cellular as my phone provider and if the spartan cam would have connected where the moultrie Verizon modems connect I would be using the spartan. With the spartan added as a device it was gonna cost a lot less for the monthly fees. But it wouldn't connect at all where I wanted to put it so back it went.
  • Well it didn't take long to have a issue. Put camera out yesterday got pictures sent to phone of me on 4 wheeler driving off. No pictures sent after that. Drove up and stopped in front of camera on 4 wheeler. Drove off and waited over 30 minutes nothing. Went back to it on took it down no pictures sent. Restarted it at home and is sending pictures. Still showing 100% signal. New batteries now showing 90%
  • I guess the first place to start would be to ensure you're using a Moultrie reccomend SD card and you formatted it in camera.

The battery loss is intriguing. I had about 100 images on mine before I saw battery levels drop. Out of curiosity, what batteries are you using?

• > @RocklockHunter said:
    > I guess the first place to start would be to ensure you're using a Moultrie reccomend SD card and you formatted it in camera.
    >
    > The battery loss is intriguing. I had about 100 images on mine before I saw battery levels drop. Out of curiosity, what batteries are you using?

I am using a 8 gig moultrie card. And yes formatted in camera. 52 pictures showing under the camera details. Rayovac alkaline batteries.
  • Did you get 52 pictures? Or they lost in space?

• @donejones said:
    Did you get 52 pictures? Or they lost in space?

I didn't count them but yeah I probably got that many. Keep in mind 95% of them was getting it going at the house and of the ceiling in the house and after taking it down and at the house again. Actual out in the field I probably got 10 or so. Put it back out yesterday evening and made sure it was working. Got pictures of me on the 4 wheeler leaving. Rode by it again about 30 minutes later still working got pictures. haven't received anything since. doesn't mean it isn't working but I would have figured to get something overnight. Will check it this evening if I don't get any pictures during the day.

• I have xv7000i same problem with not taking enough pictures, camera going to sleep and not waking up when motion or heat is detected. I was told that they were having problems with firmware and there would be an update put out on Friday 8/2/19 just to wait for update.😳
  • I too am having the same problem xv7000 camera
    When I’m there messing around with the camera it will take and transmit pictures fine But then it goes to sleep and then. NOTHING. Moultrie also told me today there would be another update by Friday and that would fix the problem
  • Called moultrie this evening. First person I spoke to said they were going to check on something about this new camera and next thing I know I am back on hold for too long. Finally hung up and called back. Got a nice lady but she didn't know anything about the new camera. Offered to do some research and get back in touch. This evening I did ride down in front of it again. I did get pictures this time. Hopefully a update is coming and soon.

• Had the same problem with my first XV, pretty much identical scenario. Called customer support and they were great as always I ended up sending my XV Verizon unit back for a check up. Hopefully I get it back soon, this is the time of year I get my best intel for Whitetail and Sika. If it works good when I get it back I'll buy a another 5 or 6. I like the single unit design, and not having to run a cable between units, I have issues with my cables getting pulled by raccoons at a few spots, drives me nuts. Ive tried taping cables to camera with duct tape, electric tape, doesn't matter what I use they are just to curious and smart enough to play the game. Also regarding batteries I highly recommend using external 12v rechargeable batteries at least for your modems, and you can get a splitter to run both. I'm running a 12v on a real busy feeder and for example its still showing 100% battery life after 4 weeks of getting hammered with pics. I used to have to replace modem batteries every 3 weeks or so at my busier cameras, when your running 6 modems and 6 cameras that gets expensive, a 12v rechargeable battery costs from $8 to $25, Plano ammo box is $8, power cable is $10, splitter is $7.

• @Proaction14 said:
    Had the same problem with my first XV, pretty much identical scenario. Called customer support and they were great as always I ended up sending my XV Verizon unit back for a check up. Hopefully I get it back soon, this is the time of year I get my best intel for Whitetail and Sika. If it works good when I get it back I'll buy a another 5 or 6. I like the single unit design, and not having to run a cable between units, I have issues with my cables getting pulled by raccoons at a few spots, drives me nuts. Ive tried taping cables to camera with duct tape, electric tape, doesn't matter what I use they are just to curious and smart enough to play the game. Also regarding batteries I highly recommend using external 12v rechargeable batteries at least for your modems, and you can get a splitter to run both. I'm running a 12v on a real busy feeder and for example its still showing 100% battery life after 4 weeks of getting hammered with pics. I used to have to replace modem batteries every 3 weeks or so at my busier cameras, when your running 6 modems and 6 cameras that gets expensive, a 12v rechargeable battery costs from $8 to $25, Plano ammo box is $8, power cable is $10, splitter is $7.

I have the Moultrie battery boxes on just about all my cameras.

• I’m telling y’all. I have allways had Moultrie products in the past. But to see this many people have trouble right outta the box. Like I am haveing
    Tells me they knew these things weren’t right. But just rushed them out so they can make a buck. Well if the problem with mine isn’t fixed this afternoon. This thing is going back to the store where I purchased it batteries and all 😡
  • Got mine 2 days ago, set it on my back porch and it shot a few pics when me and wife would walk by.......now for last day or so nothing at all. Switched spots with the camera sent a test pic, and got the test pic....now nothing in a couple hours. This is setup at my house and i'm walking by it every hour or so to trigger it. Nothin!! :(

• @envirocad said:
    Got mine 2 days ago, set it on my back porch and it shot a few pics when me and wife would walk by.......now for last day or so nothing at all. Switched spots with the camera sent a test pic, and got the test pic....now nothing in a couple hours. This is setup at my house and i'm walking by it every hour or so to trigger it. Nothin!! :(

Make sure it didn't go back to twice a day uploads.

• just checked, its on "Immediate". Modem Signal was at 77% when i last sent a test pic an hour ago. nothing unless i send a test pic.

• TRAIL CAMERAS MOBILE PRODUCTS FEEDERS Dear Moultrie Mobile Subscriber,

Last night, new firmware was released for XV-7000i and XA-7000i cameras. Here is what you need to know: Firmware updates are “pushed” over-the-air to Moultrie Mobile devices and are installed automatically. In most cases, the process is invisible to users and no action is required.  It is a good idea to verify that your cameras are always running the latest firmware version. Go to “Camera Settings” and check the Modem Firmware and Camera Firmware version: For XV-7000i model cameras, the correct Modem Firmware version is 1.1.3 and the correct Camera Firmware version is J726XV50i For XA-7000i model cameras, the correct Modem Firmware version is 1.1.3 and the correct Camera Firmware version is J726XA50i  If your camera has not applied the latest version of firmware, follow this procedure: Verify your camera has plenty of battery life (70% or more). If in doubt, install new batteries. Verify your camera has a strong cellular signal. If in doubt, bring it to a location with very strong signal. Turn off your camera. Wait 10 full seconds. Turn your camera back on. At this point, your camera will run through multiple LED light sequences to connect back to the Moultrie Mobile server and apply the firmware update. This will take several minutes. We’ve created a video to help you understand what to look for to ensure that your camera has taken the full firmware update. CLICK HERE! 
  • Firmware updated. Now the camera page is showing 0% signal. It seems to be uploading pictures at the moment. Will see how it does overnight and tomorrow. The 0% signal has me worried.

• @TRM_1 mines doing the same thing so if someone figures out how to fix it please let me know... I didn’t spend 200$ to have a piece of plastic hanging on a tree
  • edited August 4

Good luck is all I can say

• I just purchased a XV-7000i trail camera. I am trying to activated it but when I scan the bar code it just keeps loading and not allowing me to go to the next step. What am I doing wrong?
  • @coop5648 said:
    I just purchased a XV-7000i trail camera. I am trying to activated it but when I scan the bar code it just keeps loading and not allowing me to go to the next step. What am I doing wrong?

Try manually putting in the numbers to activate. other than that may have to call Moultrie.

• I purchased vex-7000i cam. I have it set for 30 minute trigger because it was taking pictures of the same deer every minute. It is still taking pictures every minute when triggered. Any help?
  • edited October 16

Make sure you have motion detect only. Sounds like time lapse is on.

@chrisk said:
    I purchased vex-7000i cam. I have it set for 30 minute trigger because it was taking pictures of the same deer every minute. It is still taking pictures every minute when triggered. Any help?

• Thank you, will look and see
  • Did you save the change from one minute to 30 minutes?