Batteries

I'm sure you all are just like me and go through a lot of batteries over the course of the year. Moultrie recommends Energizer and Energizer Lithium in most of their manuals. Both of which I have used with great results. But they are pricey and I'm admittedly a tight-wad. I'm curious if anyone has any feedback/recommendations/experience with other brands.

I found this article on the top 10 batteries and the Amazon brand has peaked my interest. The price is certainly right and I have used quite a few other Amazon branded items with great success. I'm not an electrical engineer, nor anywhere close to it so I can't speak to the science behind them. But hoping someone may be able to share some expertise and experience that we can all learn from.

https://topreviewpro.com/top-10-best-aa-batteries/

Comments

• edited August 1

My MV1 had a corroded Energizer battery in it when I went to put it out last week. I assume, since I sent it to Moultrie to be tested, that it was my batteries from last season I forgot to take out, and it wasn't tested. I got it out of the woods in March and mailed it in.

I always used either Walgreens, or Dollar General Alkalines with my cameras. I haven't noticed much difference with any of them. I've seen both high in performance on some of the tests and reviews. I put Dollar General Alkalines in my cameras before turkey season, and when we checked them Friday, most had 60% or so left. One had 4000 20mp pics on the card this summer, after taking 2 to 3 hundred a week all turkey season and deleting them up to May 13th.

I almost ordered those AC Delco's after researching them. $22 for 100. The Dollar Generals I'm having success with were $8.50 for 30. I do run the 12v and splitter on the cellular.

A lot of the store brands are made by the name brands anyway. Like anything these days, you can get a bad batch of any brand.

• I've used several of the Amazon batteries with great results.

• That's good to hear, @Sodbuster I may give them a try.

I had the AC Delco pack in my cart a week or so ago but held off.

I'm trying to focus more on getting 12v batteries for all the setups but of course still need ones for the cameras not attached to modems.

• @RocklockHunter
    The best option for long-term reliability and cost is really the remote 12V connection to a larger battery, connected to a solar panel with charge controller.

• @capttris I agree, I have 12vs running on all of my cell setups. But that's not always easy for some of the locations where I'm just running a camera-especially not on Public land.

I'm an self-admitted tightwad so I'm always trying to find the most cost effective product.

I also don't have any solar panels, yet, but I continue to explore them. My challenge is that almost all of my cameras are in the deep woods so getting sunlight through the canopy is a struggle.

• There's something fundamentally wrong when a manufacturer suggests only a certain brand battery should be used. Explaining the other name brand battery faults such as "just does crazy things" to our equipment. Seems to me the electronics engineering for the equipment is short in compensating for variances in standard power sources (i.e. battery manufacturers who provide AA, 1.5v according to an industry standard).

Everytime I call Moultrie, the first answer is, change the batteries. Frustrating.
  • From my research, I believe the reason Moultrie recommends the Energizers is that they are a known, consistent battery.

A lot of the off brands start at 1.5 but drop off sharply which creates performance issues. Likewise with the long lasting batteries, they conserve energy to prolong their life by running low.

Photography is a hobby of mine and all of my cameras are recommend to use a specific battery. Not that I haven't got away with using others, but the manufacturer tries to set its customers up for success by recommending the best battery.
  • I buy Energizers in a 48-pack for 20 bucks from Amazon. They last pretty well.

Bob

• Tried the Lithium batteries once. No more. my experience was when they were done, they were done. No drop off. Have been using Duracell's and Energizers since with good luck. Also went with a solar panel/battery pack so as not having to travel to camera site. After much hee-hawing around , if their is a battery problem, it most likely is the camera or modem, which I have had to replace after convincing Moultrie that it was the product and not the batteries.

• @YankeeBill396 said:
    Tried the Lithium batteries once. No more. my experience was when they were done, they were done. No drop off. Have been using Duracell's and Energizers since with good luck. Also went with a solar panel/battery pack so as not having to travel to camera site. After much hee-hawing around , if their is a battery problem, it most likely is the camera or modem, which I have had to replace after convincing Moultrie that it was the product and not the batteries.

Lithium have a different chemical makeup than Alkaline and produce twice as much voltage. So it 'tricks' the meter on the camera to thinking it's full when it's not. But, they also last longer-especially in cold weather.

Here is a good visual to show the drainage.

• I notice when I use lithiums my battery meter always stays at 100% and then the camera will just stop working even though the last reading was 100%. When you use regular batteries the battery percentage gradually drops which is convenient.
  • I have found that I'm getting about 1.8 to 1.85VDC on each brand new Energizer AA Lithium battery. When replacing all 12 batteries in my S50i, I measured the + and = contacts on the battery tray. 21.5V Wow! Yet, somehow it accepts a 12V remote connection and stays at 100%.
    The modem, connected to the same Moultrie splitter and voltage source, shows varying battery % every single check in.
    …. As long as they both continue to work and stay online, I'm not complaining.