MV2 battery

I got 3 MV2s set up in the field today. All with brand new Energizer Lithium batteries. After about 6 hours my one modem is already dead. Now it’s taken a ton of pictures but should it really be dead in 6 hours? I have it hooked up to a new m-8000 camera. And for some reason this new camera is taking a picture constantly. There’s nothing for it to be taking pictures of. I have the PIR set to low and it’s not facing into the sun. I don’t know what’s wrong with the camera but do you think it could really kill a modem with fresh batteries in 6 hours?! There went $12. Lol.

Comments

• edited August 10

Time lapse isn't on by accident is it? I got 6 blanks today lol.

• Negative. The modem battery did come back up the next time it took a picture. But it’s still taking pictures like crazy. Idk what the deal is. I don’t think it’s very windy either.
  • Maybe try format option and switch it over to time lapse a few mins. I'd be trying something before it catches fire. lol

• It’s taken 300 pics since 1pm. 😂
  • So I did like you said. Switched to a 1 hour time lapse from 8pm to 9pm. With 15 min intervals. The camera took a pic at 8:15 and then another at 8:17. And that’s it. Hasn’t sent a picture since. It shouldn’t have taken the 8:17 pic and it missed pics at 8:30 and 8:45. I’m thinking maybe I got a bad M-8000 camera?
  • edited August 11

@Jriedy85 said:
    So I did like you said. Switched to a 1 hour time lapse from 8pm to 9pm. With 15 min intervals. The camera took a pic at 8:15 and then another at 8:17. And that’s it. Hasn’t sent a picture since. It shouldn’t have taken the 8:17 pic and it missed pics at 8:30 and 8:45. I’m thinking maybe I got a bad M-8000 camera?

I've had similar issues for 3 years. Time lapse times would be off. Last year they would quit before the sequence finished. Camera was dead when retrieved. My MV1 ate a camera each season. 3 of them. The MV1 is still working connected to a new A40 this year, no time lapse. I haven't had any real issues much with all the cameras not connected to Mobile. But, I haven't ran time lapse on them. Not sure if its in the time lapse or the communication between the camera and the modem. I guess I'll figure it out as time goes on with this A40 without the time lapse feature.

But, since your issue started with random pictures, and low battery, there's an issue somewhere. I have already received 3 blank triggers of a mowed field this morning(no sun) on my MV2/M50i setup. 6 yesterday. Nothing within 50 or 60 yards of the camera but low weeds and clover.

• I’ll keep watching it this week. If it doesn’t improve I’ll retrieve it and call Moultrie to replace.
  • edited August 11
    My MV-2 started telling me again the battery is low then showing the modem battery at 100% when I look in app. It's attached to twelve volt box split between camera and modem. And hasn't taken any where near enough pics to kill it. Been out since Tuesday. Already getting one MV-2 replaced under warranty this month for this problem.
  • I've always loved the moultrie setup, but these MV2's......IDK Replaced 3 of the 4 MV1's already and ran for a few months. Did many different battery test, and the lithium is by far the best. The MV2's are somehow falsely reporting low battery levels through notifications when they are not low. Every one I've had has done it, and have had, or running 5 different ones. I've turned off email notifications as it's done no good to replace the modem. They've all done the same. I'm keeping and eye on the battery levels from my dashboard. Also, they're going thru batteries, of all types, much quicker than the MV1's did.

• @jameperr1 said:
    I've always loved the moultrie setup, but these MV2's......IDK Replaced 3 of the 4 MV1's already and ran for a few months. Did many different battery test, and the lithium is by far the best. The MV2's are somehow falsely reporting low battery levels through notifications when they are not low. Every one I've had has done it, and have had, or running 5 different ones. I've turned off email notifications as it's done no good to replace the modem. They've all done the same. I'm keeping and eye on the battery levels from my dashboard. Also, they're going thru batteries, of all types, much quicker than the MV1's did.

I'm not surprised by the additional battery usage. There is a lot of studies online regarding the power consumption of 4G vs. 3G but in short, 4G does use more power. For the modems, a lot of it has to do with signal strength. If your signal is lower, it consumes more battery to process the download.

As for the 'low battery' notification, I don't have an answer for that one. I don't have that notification turned on with any of my modems because I just run them until they die. I'm sure Moultrie is aware though, hopefully they will come up with a fix if it's a coding issue.

• edited September 9

I've had no battery issues with my MV2 and the signal is all over the place. I can get one picture at 53% signal, and it drop to 7% on the next. It's been out going on 7 weeks now and the modem side has just dropped to 99%. It's not taken a boat loads of pics though, somewhere around 700 I'd guess. I'm using dollar general alkalines and the splitter on the 12v battery box. Also on immediate upload. With the wild signal variances I figure mine would be the one using battery.

I have no idea how the 4g could use more battery, since it's not using dual band 3g/4g like a smartphone and switching. And the upload speed activity is at least 10 times faster than 3g. Less, and no constant communication time. No mention of LTE.

I have the 4g on the same tree the 3g was on most of the previous 3 seasons. It's similar in signal strength this time of year with heat and foliage. Usually around 40 to 50%. The difference being the 4g randomly drops out to much lower ranges at times.

I'm curious if those with battery indicator issues are using lithiums, or maybe lithiums with battery boxes. Maybe that is affecting the battery indicator. I'm also connected to an M50i, not the newer model cameras.

I'm about to reconnect my 3g in a week or so(ran it early August). And it was reading 75 to 100% signal in a flood plain, where it wouldn't connect at all the previous seasons. Strange.

• @donejones said:
    I have no idea how the 4g could use more battery, since it's not using dual band 3g/4g like a smartphone and switching. And the upload speed activity is at least 10 times faster than 3g. Less, and no constant communication time. No mention of LTE.

Really, really short answer. Coverage is not as good with 4G as 3G. So to reach towers, which are further apart, the device has to boost the transmission power to find and connect to towers.

Keep in mind, unlike smartphones, these modems do not stay connected to the network all the time. Only when they are awakened by the camera and the run script tells them to transmit an image. So each time, the modem has to reach out and find the signal and tower.

• @RocklockHunter said:

@donejones said:

Really, really short answer. Coverage is not as good with 4G as 3G. So to reach towers, which are further apart, the device has to boost the transmission power to find and connect to towers.

Keep in mind, unlike smartphones, these modems do not stay connected to the network all the time. Only when they are awakened by the camera and the run script tells them to transmit an image. So each time, the modem has to reach out and find the signal and tower.

That's what I was referring to "less and no constant communication". While it may be reaching out, it's reaching out 10 times less in actual upload time.

Seems it's not really battery issues they are having, But, a battery signal lie is being told. The battery is actually fine.

• That's true about the notifications, but I was responding to jame as he said his was draining battery quicker than the MV1s.

• edited September 9

It's confused :D Telling all the battery level lies to to the app.

Mine should actually be using battery as wild as the signal is. I got a 13% signal on the last upload.

My battery levels are back to 100% though on both modem and camera.

• P180i and MV2- 6 days and 683 pics this week and batteries gone. AA Energizer Ultimate lithium. Wonder how big of a factor the heat plays into it maybe? I am literally replacing batteries in everything from 7-10 days on an average.

• edited September 12
    > @jameperr1 said:
    > P180i and MV2- 6 days and 683 pics this week and batteries gone. AA Energizer Ultimate lithium. Wonder how big of a factor the heat plays into it maybe? I am literally replacing batteries in everything from 7-10 days on an average.

The batteries on the P180 are dead as well? Those are rated at 10k pics on a set of batteries.

Are you set for immediate?
    How strong is the signal?
    Are you requesting hi res images?
    Are you also recording video?
  • I am set for immediate, and the signal is 100% most all the time. Yes, Hi res images, but not enhanced, and no video. I've been running the same settings almost 5 years, and I swear never had this issue with batteries until the last couple months. Really started noticing it when I went to the MV2's. Both P180i's I'm running right now are replacement cameras from moultrie. Both, external solar battery pack and without it. Seems to be no difference right now.

• At first I thought it was maybe a bad batch of batteries from walmart as I've gotten them before, but I've bought from 3 different places with same results, and recently ordered some lithiums from a manufacturer other than energizer to try. Idk, but gotta get it figured out soon.

• My MV-2 and MV-1 last season had no issue at all with battery notification. This season both had issues. The Mv-2 was replaced under warranty, then the 4g redemption Mv-2 was also replaced with same issue. The modems at that time were set on immediate/ lithium with twelve volt box and splitter/ Lo res pics/ no video/ A30i cameras. I don't believe it's the actual modem itself at this point. The fact both modems from last year had this problem once this season started makes believe it's software not hardware. It only shows dead battery until it checks in again. And only low battery on modem. I've since stopped contacting customer service and replacing modems.
  • > @jameperr1 said:
    > At first I thought it was maybe a bad batch of batteries from walmart as I've gotten them before, but I've bought from 3 different places with same results, and recently ordered some lithiums from a manufacturer other than energizer to try. Idk, but gotta get it figured out soon.

Have you confirmed the batteries are dead or are you maybe getting a false low battery notification like others have reported?
  • No I'm checking them with a tester when I take them out. I turned notifications off after I put them into service and started getting false ones.

• Put the MV2's into service that is.

• Drove the 5 hours to replace modems and update/refresh etc

Brand new mv2 will not reflect higher than 2 LED lights with brand new batteries and 12v-connect to camera that has new batteries updated firmware etc.

I can’t even get it to sign on for the first time-I also drove “into town” with camera and modem in truck-no luck-plenty of 4G coverage in my area according to Verizon map with a Verizon tower less than 5 miles away-while driving into town-drove right by tower and even pulled over on the road less than 800 yards from the tower-still no connection

Camera/modem will not connect and/or show what I believe to be accurate battery level indicators-no connection show on app or website

Setting up the camera on my account-the pro-rated bill immediately went through-no problem there

Not sure if this is a first time connecting issue or battery level issue-both seem to be very common and frustrating problems.

Any ideas
  • edited September 15
    Out here with mine. Same thing. 2 lights, blinking 3rd.

Did it come from Amazon?
  • Clearly there are issues that MoultrieMobile can’t get ahead of/fix/discuss with hardware and software-I am fairly certain the board is monitored by Mountie and is aware of the consistent issues raised

I think the sun is setting on my relationship with Moultrie-there are other options in the marketplace.

Have two other hunters on same property that have alternative mobile cameras working on Verizon without issue....I may be joining that team shortly