is there a basic "howto" for beginners?

Hello, looking for just what the subject says. The instruction booklet that came with my M40 assumes I know more than I do. For example, there are 3 'on' positions: quick start, custom start, and 'aim'. Which do I use, when? Several settable options have to do with 'time lapse,' but there's no explanation of what time lapse is all about? Lots more questions of this sort.

Comments

• edited September 2017

Quick start has a set settings that can't be changed. You just flip the switch to it and you're ready to go. Personally I find it a useless setting. Custom setting allows you to create the settings you want. You can set the delay (amount of time before the cam is triggered and can take a pic), megapixel setting, photo or video, multi shot (number of pics taken with each triggered event).

Aim is not worth much and it's just supposed to help you aim the cam. Few people use it.

Time lapse makes the camera take pics without being triggered by an animal. You set it for what ever interval you want. For example set it to 1 minute interval and it will automatically take a pic every minute. People use this function when watching a big field, so you could see deer coming and going out of range of the cameras ability to sense movement. This function wil greatly decrease battery life.

I run my cams on Custom Start, Motion Detect, No delay, PIR on high, One shot, Medium photo quality. I just do pics and my cams mostly are set over food plots. Set your cam about 3ft off the ground. Make it level with the ground. Avoid facing it towards the rising and setting sun. North is the best direction to face a camera when possible. Clear away any grass or limbs in front of the camera that might blow in the wind and cause false triggers (pics with nothing in them). The sensor on Moultrie cams seem to be a little wider than it's field of view, so a deer could be standing just to the side of the cam causing it to take pics and not be seen in the picture.

Hope this didn't make it more confusing.

Would love to see some pics from the M40, so please post some in the pic forum when you get them.

• I appreciate you taking the time to clearly and simply explain the basics. Being an old nuts & bolts guy I found the booklet and site a bit short on funtion / use. More simple common sense info in your short post than moultrie's entire site. Hours of aggrivation with them, 30 minutes to perfect pics with you. Works great. THANKS.

• @putback said:
    I appreciate you taking the time to clearly and simply explain the basics. Being an old nuts & bolts guy I found the booklet and site a bit short on funtion / use. More simple common sense info in your short post than moultrie's entire site. Hours of aggrivation with them, 30 minutes to perfect pics with you. Works great. THANKS.

Thanks putback. Glad you found my post helpful.

• Booklet has hidden "Where to Download Software" but the site has no download … I am not a computer guy but this is silly.