Dark Pictures in the Daytime!!!

I recently purchased the A-35 game camera along with the MV1 Field Modem. I'm having problems with the pictures the camera is taking. I have it set up to take High Res pics. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but the pics are very dark and shadowy. Every so often I will get one that is crystal clear and the very next pic 1 minute later will be very dark. Please see attached photos for example.

Comments

• edited December 2017

I believe the problem is where you have the camera set up. All the dark shadows are messing with the pics. Many commercial game cameras struggle with dark pics when placed in shadows facing into the light causing dark day pics. I would try moving the camera around to other trees and facing it different directions to find the right spot for this location.

Here is a similar thread that Moultrie commented on
    http://forums.moultriefeeders.com/discussion/968/evening-pictures-dark#latest

• Did you ever solve this problem? I'm having this exact same issue with my new A 30 camera. The moultrie tech said that the problem was with the Ir filter. I was told to go out to the field and cover the lens and "listen for a click." I showed her some pictures where it went from normal to almost completely dark to see if she really thought it was the filter, and she said yes.I haven't had a chance to drive out to the camera to "listen for the click" but I thought Ir filters affected the color rather than the brightness. Anyway, sodbuster's solution seems more plausible. It's like it detects one little bright spot, and darkens the whole image to compensate. My field of view is pretty evenly lit, facing an open area. Considering it's in the woods, though, there will always be some shadows, no matter where you point it. So, has anyone else had success in figuring this out?
  • @rcarver37

Sodbuster is correct. Photography has been a hobby of mine for 30+ years and this comes up not just with trail cameras, but all cameras.

It's due to the metering of the scene. There are different kinds of metering. Spot, partial, evaluative ect. Basically, what that does is looks at a point in the scene and measures how much light is available. Then it sets the shutter speed and aperture accordingly to give you the best picture.

From what i can tell, most of the metering from Moultrie's cameras are evaluative but they still have some trouble from time to time as do all camera sensors. From the pic you attached, the light coming from the trees is likely tricking the sensor to think that it's lighter outside than it really is. So it either throws a high aperture or a quick shutter to compensation. Thus you get a dark picture.

If you tilt it down a bit, it should help. For what it's worth, I have the same issue with mine except I have it pointed down (my cameras are 10 ft up trees for security reasons) They catch bright spots on the ground and trick the sensor.

Hopefully that helps. This certainly isn't a Moultrie issue as any camera can and does have this issue. I have an expensive Bushnell that's terribly sensitive. It must be a 5% center spot metering because it's bad....

• edited January 2018

Thanks @RocklockHunter ! I did run out to the field and activate the IR filter a few times like Moultrie tech insisted, and for my effort they agreed to replace the camera. However, I'm confident the problem will return for the reasons you listed, so I'm going to raise it up and point it down before sending it back.
    The problem became more prevalent when I had moved it to the location it is in now, which is lower to the ground with a lot of trees in the background.

• I also like to take night photos!

• If the camera is positioned in an extremely shaded area, it is possible the flash is being triggered during the daytime. The camera is not getting enough light to take a color picture. It's most common to experience this in the summer months, when the tree canopy is denser and drowns more light. Though the reduced light may cause daytime images to render in black and white, they should still be high quality, crisp and clear. If you're set on capturing color images, it is recommended to reposition the camera where the camera can detect a greater amount of light.