Old Power Panel damaging cams

Have one of my old Moultrie Power Panel that seems to be causing problems with my cams. My replacement S50i's screen turns white when plugged into the panel and you have to angle the cam to barely be able to read the screen. It then has a run away trigger that goes until it fills up the card. Unplug the panel and the cam functions perfectly. The defective S50i that I had to send in was hooked up to this panel. I had a White Flash that fried itself and while not positive, I believe it was hooked to this panel. Have 3 other panels and i have no idea why this panel would cause these problems, but it's going to be retired before it ruins another cam.

Comments

• Interestingly, both the S50i and the White Flash are 18v systems as opposed to the power panel's 12V output. Are you having batteries installed alongside the power panel?

• @Moultrie_Ninjaneer said:
    Interestingly, both the S50i and the White Flash are 18v systems as opposed to the power panel's 12V output. Are you having batteries installed alongside the power panel?

Yes I have batteries installed.

• Sounds like power panel battery is diminished to the point where recharge level is lower than expected for camera to behave normally, especially since it is an older power panel. The diminished capacity of the battery is probably causing the camera to do weird things like can’t see display. The battery sounds like it is right on the edge of being capable of powering the camera but not able to deliver full power requirements when required to do so.

After talking with the team, we I do not believe it would destroy a camera though. It would just simply not operate correctly and maybe do weird things.

Our customer service team can test the damage though, and get you taken care of. It's worth reaching out to them.

• @Sodbuster
    If you have a multimeter, what is the exact voltage of your power panel?

I have the S50i and have also found that it is extremely sensitive to voltage changes. Like you said, it is an 18V system with AA batteries, but can take a 12V input from a remote battery

• @capttris said:
    @Sodbuster
    If you have a multimeter, what is the exact voltage of your power panel?

I have the S50i and have also found that it is extremely sensitive to voltage changes. Like you said, it is an 18V system with AA batteries, but can take a 12V input from a remote battery

I currently don't have a meter. I need to pick up a new one when I can think of it. I'm going to take the s50i and try it on a Moultrie battery box and a different panel this weekend and see if it has the same reaction. Will report back with the results.

• edited March 2018

I would wonder if with the S50I and a full of batts and backup 12v bat will work together.

• @Downeaster @Sodbuster

Yes, I am currently running my S50i with a brand new set of Energizer Lithiums and I am hard wired to a 12V battery charged by solar with a high end solar charge controller to regulate the power. The camera will select from the higher voltage source

• Here's the update. Tried the cam on a Moultrie battery box and another power panel with no problems. I hooked the panel that I was concerned with to some other cams with no issues, so I decided to hook it back up to the s50i and have had no issues for the last 3 days/nights. The problems lasted for 4 days/nights and now they seem to have stopped. I assume it was just some glitch in the cam that worked itself out. I feel this replacement s50i takes better quality night pics and doesn't seem to drain the power panel like my original one. I still have a year left on the warranty if a problem arises down the road.

• Has anyone had the internal batteries stop holding a charge in the Moultrie Power Panels? Mine have stopped and I am questioning if the internal batteries are replaceable?

• @GDO said:
    Has anyone had the internal batteries stop holding a charge in the Moultrie Power Panels? Mine have stopped and I am questioning if the internal batteries are replaceable?

I've had to replace the battery several times in my old panels. The battery is a 12v 1.3ah battery. Cost me around $11 to order off the Internet, haven't found one local to buy. It's very easy to change.

• @GDO Give our customer service team a call and let us see what we can do for you. 1-800-653-3334