Rechargeable Ni-MH batteries in A-40i

I just got a A-40i and planned to use rechargeable Ni-MH Eneloop AA batteries in it. But the A-40i documentation recommends only Alkaline or Lithium batteries. I dislike the expense and waste of one use batteries and an not sure if there are rechargeable Lithium AA batteries. My first test with the Panasonic Eneloops worked great. But a fresh charged set of them only registered 84 on the startup meter. Is not getting a higher rating the only concern?

Comments

• You can dislike the expense, but if you want it to run correctly without problems you should use what the Moultrie is telling you... There is a reason for it. Rechargeable batteries do not work well with trailcams.

• Thanks for the reply. But could you or somebody elaborate on "do not work well with trail cams". What is the nature of the incompatibility in the trail cam ?

• @DNash Rechargeable batteries often run at a lower charge than traditional batteries. They won't ruin the product, but it won't supply enough voltage to properly run the device.

• I've found over the last year now, that the MOST amount of issues that I have had, are related to batteries and voltage stability.
    I recommend Lithiums, PLUS the 12V remote plug to a larger 12V battery.
    If you are really remote and want even better reliability long-term, add a solar panel and charge controller to ensure the 12V battery stays fully charged.

• I think that will be my best solution, the 12V Battery Box with Lithiums as backup. I can recharge the 12V and hopefully not have to replace the AA's often.