MV2 Not Connecting - Customer Service not much help

I've contacted Moultrie CS two times with no resolution on one of my MV2 units. One time I was told it wasn't connecting due to poor coverage, which is nonsense, the mobile worked fine for the first couple months I had it, then just stopped connecting. The first time I was told that is was because the batteries were dead, which was also false, I put brand new batteries in it and it still wont connect. When I turn on the camera and hook up the USB cable, the first light on the modem turns solid orange and the camera displays "USB Connected". Then the second light will blink orange continuously for several minutes before it stops trying all together. I've tried new batteries, new SD card, holding the test button for 10 seconds multiple times, tested the USB cable and made sure it is working, and I brought the camera home where I'm 100% certain cell coverage is not the issue. The camera is formatted correctly, so I'm certain there is something wrong with the MV2 modem. I need help and I'm making one last effort to call Moultrie today before I request a refund for my monthly charges that they've had no problem taking even if the modem isn't connecting and I need one that will work. It is hunting season now and this was going to be a major tool for me this season. May consider other cellular options all together. If you've had similar problems with your MV2 and were able to get it working again please comment how.

Comments

• Sounds like you are telling the same story I have experienced. I have a MV2 that the last check in over 5 days again had 100% battery on modem and camera with a 23% signal-It checks in and works whenever it wants with no rhyme or reason-

I wish there was a common thread to all the issues that have been posted-that could be fixed

I do have to agree that the schedule monthly billing feature has been working flawlessly-has never missed in over 2 years-100%-Irregardless of hardware function or non-function

Frustrating would be an understatement-not sure there is much that can be done other than going an alternative route.

The modem that is not working is an expensive paperweight on the best piece if hunting ground i have-it is also hunting season for me as well. Don’t have the time to drive 5 hours-one way-to try and push a button on a remote modem to hope that will get it working
  • I too am having a similar problem. Went to set two out this weekend and the modem powers on, the bottom 3 red lights turn on and the middle one blinks for 5 or so minutes before just shutting down. Super frustrating. Data I paid for is just sitting there going unused now this week as I won't have time to mess with the cameras again until next weekend.

• Great news-my “lost” modem (MV2) randomly checked in yesterday for the first time in over a week-All batteries at 100% and signal at 17%.

Only if pictures would download and/or the camera/modem would show up on my dashboard.....at this point we are cheering remotely that it just checked in.....

I will continue to vigorously and exhaustively pursue my current strategy by doing nothing over 5 hours away just hoping it downloads some pics or begins working as intended from the best site I have on property while paying my monthly bill like clockwork
  • edited October 2019

Same problem as mentioned above. Modem works for a while then fails to connect with two leds flashing. I already took the modem back and got a new one. Worked again for a while now it's failing to connect. I removed the power from the solar, usb cord and batteries to try and reset the thing. No go. Still not connecting. I guess I could keep returning the units as broken until Moultrie gets frustrated with all the returns and figures out what is going on.

• There is definitely a consistent problem. I would graciously welcome some form of accommodation for the data that goes unused and/or maxed out when equipment randomly works.

Until that time-I will stay the course with my strategy of doing nothing 5 hours away while paying for data like clockwork
  • @Gr8whitehuntr What kind of signal are you getting? Not getting pictures can be the result of a lot of things, but not checking in is really just, signal strength, batteries or faulty modem.
  • @Gr8whitehuntr said:
    There is definitely a consistent problem. I would graciously welcome some form of accommodation for the data that goes unused and/or maxed out when equipment randomly works.

Until that time-I will stay the course with my strategy of doing nothing 5 hours away while paying for data like clockwork

Sounds exactly the same as my strategy. It's an absurd joke, and impossible to reach customer service to have anything done about it.

• Rocklockhunter-I get signal strength that may vary even more than function. The new mv2 modem that has reflected the poorest performance has 100% batteries and at last check in has 32% signal strength while a separate MV2 modem that is located less than 500 yards away consistently reflects different signal strength readings-sometimes within minutes of the same check in time-I have no idea why two modems on the same foodplot in an open area has never had the same signal strength readings. If it was as simple as batteries-signal strength and properly functioning modems-I suspect there would be far fewer posts on this forum. If the modem in fact is faulty-still in the same boat 5 hours away-paying for data and then how do I get a replacement modem without driving 5 hours to get the old one to send in and burn even more data cost and down time.

I am confident that moultire staff reads this forum-what can I do to get a new modem before driving to pick up old one-that will be even more time of a paid for data package without a working modem -and what do we do about two months of data that is paid for and not used.

There has to be a solution for this-customer service is always very friendly-hours are less than desirable as I don’t generally hunt during regular office hours. There is not much they can do remotely as well-same laundry list of trouble shooting that we have done so many times-I think my 12 year old ranch hand (daughter) can probably write them down from memory.

Looking for tangible solutions from moultire-I would welcome two fresh mv2’s that I can swap out on my next trip to the property and send the other two back for diagnostics
  • @Gr8whitehuntr Signal can vary widely from 500 yards away. You can see signal improve in some cases by moving it a few feet. There are lots of variables in cell signal strength.

Pradco doesn't outsource their customer service so we have to call in during traditional business hours. If I were you, I would call them and tell them you've ran through the list of troubleshooting tips without success. If it's under warranty (should be) then they will give you instructions on sending it back.

Also, in the meantime, you can cancel the service so you're not paying for data you're not using. I did that with MV1 that a bear damaged the USB port. No sense in paying for it.
  • edited October 2019

@Gr8whitehuntr If the camera isn't showing up, there's about a 0 chance of a picture being transmitted. No matter how many times the modem checks in. I've had similar issues in the past. The camera went bad in the end in my case. I'm sure theres a possibility of usb port issue, or the cable. I would have cancelled the plan immediately when it's not showing the camera. You can call Moultrie and tell them whats going on, as far as the data you paid for, and find a solution for that.

4g obviously has greater signal fluctuation than 3g. I get pics at 3%, 2 mins later it's 43%. It fluctuates a lot in a high and low range. But, the pics come through. It stinks that yours are 5 hours away, but I'd test out a modem/camera combo before taking it out there, since you said you do have a signal.

I bought a MV2 that would only light up two and blink the 3rd. I returned it. They credited me my prorated data.

Our food plot is just 60 yards long. I get a 4g signal at the slightly higher end, and nothing at the other. Same with my phone. It was similar with 3g, but with 3g the cooler weather and foliage drop, I'd end up with 100% 3g at the other end by November.

• Picture I just received

The one I got earlier was 43%

• Good feedback-thank you.

With signals having so much variation by location and time from the same location-not sure how you can determine a the best location for consistent performance -especially in a remote location with limited on site time to conduct numerous test cycles. Everything worked fine at home before placing in the field-I was able to conduct several successful test cycles. Sounds like both of you have similar experiences with wide variations in signal strength.

Surprisingly the problem camera checked in out of the blue late last night and I received an upload warning message that exceeded what I thought was a large limit-message indicated that I had 629 images. I selected to upload at next check in-whenever that will be-currently set for 2 a day-does that message indicate a zero chance of operation like your similar experience

I would prefer not to cancel data in the case the equipment starts working out of the blue which has also happened numerous times in the past-I use the service for scouting/hunting/security for a property that is not easily or quickly accessed-a backlog of images with still prove beneficial to my efforts.

Guess I will lob another call to CS-would prefer they send me new modems that I can take to the property and see if I can get up and running. Sending them back entails a trip back and forth while having no modems on the property resulting in guarantied down time during hunting season
  • edited October 2019

So, are you saying sometimes the camera itself is visible in the app, and sometimes not? I noticed you said in an earlier post the camera wasn't showing and the modem would check in random.

->"Only if pictures would download and/or the camera/modem would show up on my dashboard.....at this point we are cheering remotely that it just checked in....."

• Camera was placed online September 4th and worked intermittently until I was able to go on site and run through the usual list of trouble shooting on September 15th-the camera worked again intermittently from 9/15 until the last picture on file on the 19th-no pics since the 19th of last month. During that time it was downloading pictures to a file folder. At some point after the last pictures-I changed the settings and name of the camera in the app. Since the name change-it has checked in three total times and the new name is not reflected in my folders not have any pics been downloaded. The upload limit warning I received last night referenced the new name on the modem but the new name is not on my folder list-

I realize this is somewhat convoluted-just simply trying to get the camera to send daily pics that I access on the app or online

Thank you for your help and feedback
  • Sounds like its backed up on commands and pics or something. Don't know if its having trouble reading the card maybe. Strange it shows the pics used, but they don't upload. I assume folders are what you see in the "filters" on the app. Maybe try to "reset" filters in app. I know you don't want to lose 629 pictures, so format isn't a possibility. Best to download the card when you get to it, as far as seeing the pics.

YW and good luck with it.

• Thanks again for the feedback-I agree that something is not working right and unfortunately not much I can do remotely.

I received a similar message on the 24th of this month about exceeding upload limit and selected not to upload them-the changed name was updated on that as well but not in folders-No pics sent only two check ins since the 19th.

I think I just have to wait to get back on property and go through a reset procedure-maybe I will have a new modem to replace with from Moultie if CS will do that for me.

I have a hard time buying a “replacement” from moultrie and “returning” the bad one to them. I need to make the most of a trip there and don’t want get the bad ones to send back and not have replacements before heading to the property
  • > @Gr8whitehuntr said:
    > I have a hard time buying a “replacement” from moultrie and “returning” the bad one to them. I need to make the most of a trip there and don’t want get the bad ones to send back and not have replacements before heading to the property

I would call and ask. The worse they can say is no.

I've only had a camera miss a check-in once and it was due to the service, I believe. (Signal less than 15%) It checked in like normal the next day. Never had one miss a check in where signal was good.
  • The signal has varied from 0%-not sure how it can connect and reflect a 0% signal...but very inconsistent checks ins have been the norm for my experiences-that one of the reasons and associated frustrations of not canceling data on modems
  • edited December 2019
    I switched from the Verizon model to the AT&T model and so far so good. About 2 weeks without problems. Last reading signal strength was 100%.
  • edited December 2019

I have been running the MA2 for a few months hooked to an older but still supported M888i. The pics were so so, but the connection was strong (helps that the cell tower is 30 yards from the modem). Yesterday without warning (and on 3 day old Energizers) the modem stopped connecting. I went to visit it today (24 hrs after its last connection). Pressed the button I get green awake....then nothing for about 2 mins, then solid Low orange and blinking orange light above it. This 2nd light blinks for 2 mins, then nothing. 1st light stays orange, sometimes 2nd does as well. But no battery status or connection status, never checks USB connection for a camera. Fine I took it home maybe it will connect there, after 8 new batteries....my home is about 500 yards from said cell tower. Pressed the button...same behavior, no connection to moultrie mobile again. Sounds like I might have a paperweight. It looks like they made some "enhancements" to the mobile app over this past weekend....maybe thats causing a connection issue.

• edited December 2019

@cwebermc67 said:
    I have been running the MA2 for a few months hooked to an older but still supported M888i. The pics were so so, but the connection was strong (helps that the cell tower is 30 yards from the modem). Yesterday without warning (and on 3 day old Energizers) the modem stopped connecting. I went to visit it today (24 hrs after its last connection). Pressed the button I get green awake....then nothing for about 2 mins, then solid Low orange and blinking orange light above it. This 2nd light blinks for 2 mins, then nothing. 1st light stays orange, sometimes 2nd does as well. But no battery status or connection status, never checks USB connection for a camera. Fine I took it home maybe it will connect there, after 8 new batteries....my home is about 500 yards from said cell tower. Pressed the button...same behavior, no connection to moultrie mobile again. Sounds like I might have a paperweight. It looks like they made some "enhancements" to the mobile app over this past weekend....maybe thats causing a connection issue.

Hard to say. You have another camera to try with it? I bought a bad one before. It would light up 2 lights and blink the 3rd. All it would do.

If it ends up a paperweight, send it back for another paperweight that works. I'd be using the "support(chat)" button on the app or page.

• edited December 2019

Tried with another cam, I think in the bootup sequence, it doesn't connect to the cam until it gets online and establishes a signal/connection with the server. Still the same behavior. awake.2 mins and nothing, 1st orange light is solid, 2nd blinking for 2 mins. Then sometimes light 1 stays solid sometimes 1 and 2. They stay lit for about 30 seconds then its shuts down.

Its strange that Battery was at 100% and the cam was undisturbed and all the sudden it just crapped out.

• @cwebermc67 I would call Customer Service and talk it through with them. There's certainly something going on.
  • Spoke to them this morning. Have to mail it back for diagnostics. Who knows how long that will take. Especially over the holidays. Its due to arrive on friday. I will report back on the findings and turn around time

• edited January 8

New MA2 arrived Jan 6th via UPS....I was away on travel so my wife pulled it in. I opened it this morning, went through the setup, added a plan, new energizer lithiums, connected a cam....guess what...new modem....almost the same issue....I get 1 more amber light then I did before....however this time the modem doesnt turn off after 3 minutes. Maybe its doing a firmware update but this has been the status for 25 minutes now. Im about done with moultrie mobile products at this point

• I guess it would have to connect to get any update.

• Looks like the replacement modem has now started acting like the 1st. Pressed the button 1st light solid orange, 2nd flashing, and no connection. Paperweight #2

• It definitely shouldn't be a paperweight. I'd reach back out to CS and see what's what, they can scour through some server logs and see if they can deduce anything from the backend and get you fixed up if there is a hardware problem.

• I have one of the newer 7000 cameras that has the modem inside. Been working perfectly for a year and April 3rd it stopped sending pics. So I went out and changed the batteries. It seems to be taking pics and I hit the connect/status button just to check And it lights up and all that but if I look in the app it never says that the modem has checked in and never sends pictures. I’m not sure why it would just randomly stop checking in.