Moultrie Modem Batt dead after 20 pics

Literally put my modem out about 6pm last night. It is set to upload 4/day. I believe it has checked in twice so far and uploaded 20 pics. I put brand new lithium batteries in this unit yesterday. It's also new from Bass pro. I live 3 hours away from my camp. My other modems have been working fine sending thousands of pics before they die. Any advice? Send modem in? Try to swap it out at BPS? Batteries didn't even make it 24hrs.

Comments

• If it doesn't send any pics, or the battery reading doesn't change, I'd make BP refund the modem and the batteries. Hard to imagine lithiums not lasting a day.
  • Totally agree. The other two cams are doing perfect with the exact same set up and batteries from the same package.
  • Not sure if there was a bad batch of modems or just product related-I completely understand having hardware not working several hours away with not much that can be done about

The modem on my best spot-had taken an indefinite “knee”not much I can do but hope it just starts working out of the blue like it stopped working

Battery/signal/operation issues are a very common theme with the modems

Best of luck
  • Thanks bro. Did yours continue to store pics on the camera SD or did it completely shut down? I realize the two aren't directly related but I'm curious if it fogged the whole system up. I'm waiting to see if it was just a bad reading or something. Last check in was at 1pm so hopefully in the next few hours it should update again.
  • edited October 2019
    I wonder if it was a bad set of batteries? I've got some duds before.

If it's a MV2/MA2 and the batteries in the camera are still good, it will keep taking pictures. (You can push them through when the modem gets new batteries) If it's a X series and the batteries died, you're not going to continue to get pics.
  • So just to update..camera just checked in again and uploaded pics. Battery still showing 0% but it uploaded so maybe it just reporting wrong?
  • It's possible from reading some previous issues.

• Within 24 hours of when I first setup my MV2 with fresh Energizer Lithiums, AND hardwired 12V remote plug, I got a few "low modem battery" warnings, but it always updated on time with photos (with time lapse checkin)
    It's been fine ever since and that was a few weeks ago. Not sure what it was seeing or doing. I'm wondering if this issue was/is actually the coding that gets uploaded to the server might be mis-interpreted by the server/computer.
    I'm not a computer expert but it wouldn't seem possible to actually get low voltage to the modem within 24 hours of fresh batteries AND 12V remote plug hardwired. It wasn't rapid-firing photos either. It was silent for about 8 hours before the uploads with warning.

• @jkr8922 If it's sending pics and checking in, then it couldn't have "died". It sounds like you got a notification saying the battery is low. There have been some reports of false low battery readings. Just run them until it truly dies.

I don't even have the low battery notification on. Most of mine are in other states, so what am I going to do with a notification? Just run it until it dies.
  • Went through a few modems with this issue until I stopped caring anymore and contacting customer service.
  • @dpekera said:
    Went through a few modems with this issue until I stopped caring anymore and contacting customer service.

That's where I'm at. Reverting to the MV1's and after the 1st of the year if they haven't figured out the bugs (Big Bugs) with the MV2's , and migrating to another solution for cellular photos.

• > @dancbtmkr said:
    > (Quote)
    > That's where I'm at. Reverting to the MV1's and after the 1st of the year if they haven't figured out the bugs (Big Bugs) with the MV2's , and migrating to another solution for cellular photos.

Running two Mv-2 right now and haven't had an issue in at least a month.