Rigid Camera Mount

For those of you in bear country, this may be what the doctor ordered. I found a solution last year that has all but solved our issues with bears tearing down our cameras. I can't tell you the level of frustration I had to receive pictures like this.

But alas, I have found a system that works. We've been using this method for almost 2 years now and not a single bear has been able to circumvent it thus far. Sadly, we've seen several attempt it unsuccessfully.

We place all of our cameras in trees about 10-12 feet up when possible. Most are on public land so it keeps it out of sight from those who have ill intentions and with the camera pointed down, I get less images of limbs and branches moving.

So here's what I came up with. It's a block made out of 2x6 that has wire turnbuckles screwed in on 3 sides.

The face of the board has 4 holes drilled through it to accept heavy duty zip ties which threads through the strap slots. Not only are these adjustable, but they have some give if something was to tug on it.

The turnbuckles are on the top and both sides. This creates a method to secure both vertical and horizontal movement. With them being adjustable, it allows for micro adjustment if you need to change the direction of the camera.

It's all bolted down with 2 inch lag bolts. I have literally hung from this mount and it hasn't given a bit. A bear is pretty powerful and destructive so I won't go so far as to say bear proof. Maybe just "bear resistant" ;)

Feel free to pirate the idea for your use if you'd like. And if you have any other ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears!

Comments

• edited May 12

Mr. Ingenuity. lol. Looks good to me. Lost a strap last week to a squirrel.

• @donejones said:

Yeah, they seem to be fodder for critters to chew on. I quit using them on public land because they stick out like a sore thumb.

That reminds me, I found a good use for all those straps too...

• @donejones said:

poor @donejones, he lost yet another battle with a squirrel. :D go squirrel, go squirrel, go squirrel. lol.

• nice camera mount @RocklockHunter! i think it would be a little hard on the tree, i live in "bear country" i have see three to four bears in one picture! you will be mowing your lawn, and look at the tree line, and you bet that's a bear. haven't had one destroy any thing that i know of, yet...

• @moultriecam2019 said:

@donejones said:

poor @donejones, he lost yet another battle with a squirrel. :D go squirrel, go squirrel, go squirrel. lol.

First strap I've ever had chewed up. And it was on the backside of the buckle. Camera was still attached.

• @moultriecam2019 said:
    nice camera mount @RocklockHunter! i think it would be a little hard on the tree, i live in "bear country" i have see three to four bears in one picture! you will be mowing your lawn, and look at the tree line, and you bet that's a bear. haven't had one destroy any thing that i know of, yet...

Doesn't seem to hurt the tree. No more than screw in steps would.

I have found that scent is the key. Yes, they will get curious once in a while and climb up just to inspect it, but if it's scent free, the'll leave it alone. Before we were having to fix cameras all the time because we kept going back to the site with our scent. Now that they haven't pulled these mounts down, and subsequently, we don't visit the site often, they stay away.

• I agree @RocklockHunter ...scent. I think that's the exact reason the squirrels chewed the strap. We left a bag of yellow stuff when we set this camera to take post deer season inventory. The deer ate it all, and the squirrels got ticked off and chewed up the strap. lol. More than likely smelled the corn scent on it setting the camera.

If it's not the bears and squirrels its the coons. Had 5 climbing all over another camera, and it stared at the ground for 2 weeks. The next time they all ran up a small sapling and broke it off perfectly to lay in front of the camera. It's rough out there.

• Ha. I test all my cameras and modems behind the house before I deploy them and I have taken advantage of the "Immediate" notifications more than once to dispose of raccoons. I can normally get 2 or 3 before they scatter out of sight.