Moultrie Battery Box

Does anyone recommend a replacement or have specifications for a battery for the Moultrie battery box? I want to buy a spare so I can change them out in the field.

Comments

• edited July 2

this is what i would recommend. you might be able to find it for a better price elsewhere.

https://www.moultriefeeders.com/12-volt-rechargeable-battery

• 12v 7ah can be found on eBay or Amazon for under $20.

• edited July 2

actually never had one before, lol. do they work good as far as extending the battery life?

• @moultriecam2019 said:
    actually never had one before, lol. do they work good?

Yes they work well. Stealthcam, Spypoint, and HME battery boxes all have they same plug size as Moultrie. Moultrie is the only one without a solar charging option.

• I have several of these for the very purpose you mentioned. So far, so good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003S1RQ2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tJZ.EbMMKYXSB
  • > @Sodbuster said:
    > (Quote)
    > Yes they work well. Stealthcam, Spypoint, and HME battery boxes all have they same plug size as Moultrie. Moultrie is the only one without a solar charging option.

Didn't they use to make a solar panel? From what I have heard people did not like it
  • I power all my Moultrie cameras with a 48 pk of Energizer alkline batteries for $20. Do the math and it comes out to about $2:24 to power a device that takes 8AA. So far I only have one cam that takes 12. since the batterie box is on sale I was considering buying ONE. But don't know if it would make all that much of a diff since I get my batteries for so cheep. And I would only be able to use it for one device or two per tree.( Camera and modem)
  • Battery box is the real deal. Last's quite a while with a less than $20 dollar battery like @RocklockHunter and @Sodbuster said. My 12v 7ah was lasting about 5 months I guess. I guess you could put a 12v solar panel on the battery, just run it through a small regulator first.

I know some that run the old Moultrie panel with the built in battery. They don't make it anymore, but some have replaced the internal battery and are still using them.

• > @donejones said:
    > Battery box is the real deal. Last's quite a while with a less than $20 dollar battery like @RocklockHunter and @Sodbuster said. My 12v 7ah was lasting about 5 months I guess. I guess you could put a 12v solar panel on the battery, just run it through a small regulator first.
    >
    > I know some that run the old Moultrie panel with the built in battery. They don't make it anymore, but some have replaced the internal battery and are still using them.

You mean they last pretty long on a single charge?
    Or last pretty long before you have to recharge the batteries? And how often do the 12v batteries go bad and you have to replace them?
  • You get quite a few charge cycles on SLA batteries. So, no problems there. They last months on a charge. I pulled my box out a couple of weeks ago that was running my modem and camera with a splitter. It was a 12v 12ah and had been out since mid December. Still had a 50% charge on it.

• I got 11 months on an X series with the battery box.

I get about 4 months with the 4G modems, 6 or 7 with the 3Gs.

All depends on signal strength, amount of images, upload frequency ect.
  • > @donejones said:
    > You get quite a few charge cycles on SLA batteries. So, no problems there. They last months on a charge. I pulled my box out a couple of weeks ago that was running my modem and camera with a splitter. It was a 12v 12ah and had been out since mid December. Still had a 50% charge on it.

I would be running it with my 900i and modem. Just as a side note, the 900i appeared to be sucking batteries when using the hi-res setting. But that is beside the fact.

Is the box big and bulky? Eye catching? There is the occasional person/people who I have no idea who in the world they are( I am of the impression that they are poachers, and I would not put it past them to have them selves a nice cam+modem+battery box) I will probably want to lock it to a tree. is there a loop hole I could lock it to? Also the property I would have it on flouds at least twice a year, one not so bad and thee other, bad. How water proof is it? I guess it is not water proof to resist a floud. In which case I would have to mount it to the tree.
  • I think this picture will answer most of those questions. That box has been in that same tree for at least 2 years.
  • edited July 3
    I think this picture will answer most of those questions. That box has been in that same tree for at least 2 years.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuPlqO93xBPJgqxkWtsjIl3cp71xMA
  • edited July 3
    Apparently the Picture has to be "approved".
  • You can put the battery box at the base of the tree and throw some debris over it. It's about 10x5x6 inches. Otherwise, it looks like a bunch of stuff tied to a tree.