Can the modem be tracked?

Last night I got a picture of someone trespassing on our land in the picture he doesn't seem to see my camera but let's say he went back, can the modem be tracked since it's on Verizon network? I know the batteries would have to stay in but let's say he's an idiot and tried to use it somehow.

Comments

• Unfortunately the modem in it's current iteration doesn't have GPS capabilities so they wouldn't be able to track it.

• Ugh not the answer I was hoping for! Thanks tho I appreciate it
  • edited August 2017

The modem ID will be known if they try to register it with Moultrie for their own use. If it is stolen I'd report it to Moultrie. Then let Verizon triangulate the towers used for a 3g signal. FInd them. Then burn their playhouse down. :D

• > @donejones said:
    > The modem ID will be known if they try to register it with Moultrie for their own use. If it is stolen I'd report it to Moultrie. Then let Verizon triangulate the towers used for a 3g signal. FInd them. Then burn their playhouse down. :D

Thanks I appreciate it, I won't be able to get up there for a few days since our land is an hour away but it's still showing the battery percentage for the camera and modem so it looks like the are still connected. Lol yeah it will be a really bad day if they did and I can find them!
  • Just keep an eye on "latest activity". See if it still checks in every 25 hours.

• Wish I had a better picture
  • Looks like he's dressed for stealing. lol Backpack and all

• I despise trespassers. Sorry you're having to deal with that. The more these things become prevalent, I think we'll see a decrease in theft because once they know they're on camera, just taking out the SD card isn't going to work.

FWIW, we have a plan with the local sheriff's office where ours are located. We'll send them a pic and they'll be waiting for them at the truck when they get back. ;)

• > @RocklockHunter said:
    > I despise trespassers. Sorry you're having to deal with that. The more these things become prevalent, I think we'll see a decrease in theft because once they know they're on camera, just taking out the SD card isn't going to work.
    >
    > FWIW, we have a plan with the local sheriff's office where ours are located. We'll send them a pic and they'll be waiting for them at the truck when they get back. ;)

I didn't put mine in the theft box nor did I use a cable, I'm stressing out now. Where it's located no one should even be close it's in the middle of no where, if I'm lucky and he didn't take it I'm definitely getting a lock box!
  • edited August 2017

Looks like a headlamp kinda. Maybe running coon dogs. Can't think of any reason being in the middle of nowhere. Unless he's got some certain plants growing out there.

• > @donejones said:
    > Looks like a headlamp kinda. Maybe running coon dogs. Can't think of any reason being in the middle of nowhere. Unless he's got some certain plants growing out there.

That's what I was thinking I've already talked to my buddies I hunt with we gonna go up there and walk the place and look for plants or a damn meth lab, stupid meth heads are big in the south lol
  • Tell the DEA lol. They were over our place with a helicopter a couple of months ago. They spot the plants with infrared somehow.

• @Hunter243 said:

I didn't put mine in the theft box nor did I use a cable, I'm stressing out now. Where it's located no one should even be close it's in the middle of no where, if I'm lucky and he didn't take it I'm definitely getting a lock box!

We have a python cable on ours but of course that can be cut. The closest one we have is about a mile from the road. It takes a min of 30 mins to get back to the road with a brisk walk so plenty of time for the deputy to get there and wait on them.

• edited August 2017

I always try to put mine where it's not real noticeable. If its on a plot, I'll put it 10 or 12 ft up with a stick behind it, since I use mostly time lapse on a plot. In the woods I camo it some. If the guy saw that feeder, he may start looking for the camera then.

• I'm scared it's gone I haven't gotten a picture all day
  • Hopefully it's ok. Tracking feature would be nice though. I have python cables around my camera and modem. Won't stop someone that really wants to steal it but they would have to have bolt cutters with them. which most trespassers won't have unless they specifically new they needed them.
  • Just got a picture from my camera and modem he didn't take it! I'm so relieved! Ordering a lock box and padlock and chain and whatever the hell else I can do to keep anyone from taking it!!!!
  • Ha. We've all been there.

I'll tell you one secret we've found. If you have it set to "Immediate", you'll likely know if someone is messing with the camera. With ours, if someone goes to even change batteries, I know. Because as soon as they touch the camera, the vibration causes it to take a picture and it comes out blurry with motion.

The only way they can get around that is to pull the USB Cord. But we have ours secured in a way that you can't get it out easily without bumping the camera.

We had someone show up on camera last year and I had the picture downloaded and in an email in draft form to send to the local sheriff and the number dialed, just waiting for that picture to show that he'd messed with it. Thankfully, he moved on and all was well.

• @RocklockHunter yeah that scared me, I changed it to immediate just in case, I've already ordered the security case for the camera and modem. I can't stand a damn thief I work too hard for my money for someone to steal my stuff. Hopefully he stays out of there he's gonna mess up my deer that's coming in also
  • Why we need a live voice option. Play machine gun, or bear sounds. Pics would be priceless.

• > @donejones said:
    > Why we need a live voice option. Play machine gun, or bear sounds. Pics would be priceless.

Lmao that would be awesome he would have shit himself
  • Just installed my modem and cam this weekend at my lease and next day caught my first poacher. I'm going to be so pissed if he steals my set up.
  • These units cannot be tracked, their biggest downfall. I have enjoyed this camera and the price, but will not be buying more because of this fact. I had one stolen and Moultrie has tried to help, but without GPS you are SOL and these units have no value to my property. I have been working with the Sheriff, and the morons do occasionally turn the camera on, but I cannot get a pic to identify them or where they are. Forget trying to work with Verizon, they are the devil reincarnate just like Comcast or the rest of them. My camera was on private property in a lock box with a heavy duty cable/lock. I will be buying another brand that can be tracked if stolen, that is an absolute necessity with these cameras. Good luck!

• @mike5555 said:
    These units cannot be tracked, their biggest downfall. I have enjoyed this camera and the price, but will not be buying more because of this fact. I had one stolen and Moultrie has tried to help, but without GPS you are SOL and these units have no value to my property. I have been working with the Sheriff, and the morons do occasionally turn the camera on, but I cannot get a pic to identify them or where they are. Forget trying to work with Verizon, they are the devil reincarnate just like Comcast or the rest of them. My camera was on private property in a lock box with a heavy duty cable/lock. I will be buying another brand that can be tracked if stolen, that is an absolute necessity with these cameras. Good luck!

At this price point, I don't expect to see GPS enabled devices. Sure, if it was $500, then I would. The modems are cheaper than the average trail cameras now and the X series is still on the lower end of price of most trail cameras and almost all don't have GPS.

I would say it's a business decision on Pradco's part. For every camera that's stolen, there's probably 200 or 300 that isn't stolen. (I've never had one stolen in 15+ years) So they're probably weighing if the cost is worth it to buyers.