S50I Battery HOG?

I seem to notice my two new S50i are really rough on the power draw. Swapped them in place of m990i and m999i and have found the power panels plum dead. Never had that problem before. Swappped the power panels out for the battery boxes and let the panels build back up. Really worried I have bought two battery hogs.

Comments

• I have been running my S50i on lithiums for 4 months and still going. Trailcampro rates it as a battery hog and expects 7 months out of lithiums. What I have noticed is my Moultrie White Flash cams which also runs on 12 AA are hard on my power panels. I've used the panels on cams since they first came out with great results, but now my panels batteries keep going bad and must be replaced. I seem to only get a year or a little over out of the small 12v battery in the panel versus 4-5 years from past experience. I can only attribute that to the heavy load these White Flash cams put on the panels and the S50i could have the same issue. All also add that I do pics only. I would be interested in knowing how your battery box works out, because I may switch to them as it seems another one of my panels battery may be going bad when I checked it today and I'm tired of replacing them.

• I have one of my s50i hooked to a solar panel and I have one s50i on a battery box. The battery box defiantly lasts longer compared to the solar panel because it just can't keep up with the battery drain of the s50i I have both of my s50i set to video as I do most of my cameras. The solar panel in the same spot without being moved will power the m999i or m990i on video without a problem. The battery box has worked good for me on my other cameras. I had purchased a few of them for spots that the solar panels wouldn't work because of the tree canopys. There is defiantly a issue of battery consumption with the S50I models in my opinion.

• @TRM_1

Do you hear a faint high pitch squeal/hum/buzzing when you plug in the 12V external battery plug into the s50i?
    I do and I'm waiting on Moultrie to confirm if there are any issues.

How long have you been running the s50i on the external battery?
    any issues?
    How long do you get on that external battery vs the AA batteries?
    thanks

• On the s50i battery problem.... has Moultrie addressed this issue ? any new firmware updates?
    any one know the answers?

• @WILDBILL said:
    On the s50i battery problem.... has Moultrie addressed this issue ? any new firmware updates?
    any one know the answers?

No new firmware. The 2018's are coming so not likely they will worry about the poor battery life on it or the white flash. An external battery box is the best solution for these cams. I am running a Stealthcam battery box on one of my White Flash and am very pleased with it. Eventually I'll get the solar panel to keep it charged. Have the S50i hooked up to the Power Panel and I'm only running it at night on one of my gardens and it runs it down most nights.

• Thanks...... I guess I'll just get an external battery box

• Can i see some night pics from your guys s50i cameras. Mine seem to be really dark. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be that dark or if something is wrong.
  • @Jriedy85 said:
    Can i see some night pics from your guys s50i cameras. Mine seem to be really dark. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be that dark or if something is wrong.

Motion freeze on

• How long are you getting out of a set of batteries in your s50i ?
    I am only getting 2 days out of a set of 12 AA batteries!! That agrees with what it says when I turn it on - 99%, 2 days. This must surely be a fault??

• edited January 2018

@Lloyd said:
    How long are you getting out of a set of batteries in your s50i ?
    I am only getting 2 days out of a set of 12 AA batteries!! That agrees with what it says when I turn it on - 99%, 2 days. This must surely be a fault??

I've had the same set of lithiums in mine set to the lowest delay in pic mode since I got it. Ran it for about 4 months before I set it up on one of my gardens after I planted cover crops. Since then I've ran it only at night hooked to a Moultrie Power Panel for the last 3 months . I can only guess but I expect 6-7 months out of a set of lithium with around a hundred pics a day. With lithiums mine always reads 2 days, but if you are only getting 2 days out of a set of lithium or alkaline batteries then there is a definite problem. I would test each battery before I put it in, make sure you have the right kind of sd card, and check to see if the firmware is current.

• Batteries all test OK - about 1.8v each. SD card is a Lexar Platinum II 32GB 300x 45MB/s card that works fine in my Canon camera. I reformatted it in the S50i to be sure. Updated firmware (worked on 3rd try). Still same problem only runs for 2 days.

• @Lloyd
    Something I've read a few times on these forums is that a basic, cheap SD card that is NOT high speed, is the best. I had this issue with my s50i, where it just simply stopped updating, and I bought a Moultrie SD card (search the net for cheap prices) and I've had much better luck.

• @TRM_1 said:
    I have one of my s50i hooked to a solar panel and I have one s50i on a battery box. The battery box defiantly lasts longer compared to the solar panel because it just can't keep up with the battery drain of the s50i I have both of my s50i set to video as I do most of my cameras. The solar panel in the same spot without being moved will power the m999i or m990i on video without a problem. The battery box has worked good for me on my other cameras. I had purchased a few of them for spots that the solar panels wouldn't work because of the tree canopys. There is defiantly a issue of battery consumption with the S50I models in my opinion.

How has the performance of the the S-50i worked out with external battery? (I assume it's a 12 volt). I've also got problems with my S-50i power consumption. I hooked it up to a 12v/12 amp hour battery, but only get about 30 minutes of night videoing before it decides that it hasn't got enough power, and yet the battery still holds about 12.8 volts. It appears that the camera is designed to function only with higher voltage. Haven't used it with still photos much as I'm mostly interested in video.

• Back in December I installed fresh Energizer lithiums in the camera and modem AND connected the 12V splitter plug to a big 12V battery with solar charge controller. Other than Moultrie "glitches" with a lack of reporting/updating here and there, and the occasional reset, the battery has been good on both.