nighttime pic nothing but blackness

I checked my new M40 at home and it did take good pics at night. Moving it on site however, the only nitghttime pic obtained so far is absolutely blank/black, as if I'd covered the lens. And the moon was up at the time. Any ideas?

Comments

• Sounds like the filter is sticking when you've got it out there. Are you cinching it to the tree with a strap or python cable? is there any chance that you're fastening it so tight that it's warping the frame slightly?

Either way, you can use a little percussive maintenance on it (I.E. give it a good smack) to try and un-stick the filter and get it back to operating properly.

• It's housed in a security box and fixed in place with that little thumb screw, strapped and Python'd via the steel box. The odd thing is, it takes good night pics when tested at home. Perhaps it was mounted too high on the tree, and there was nothing close enough to reflect the IR flash back to the lens? (Whatever triggers it has been getting away during the 10 sec delay.) The nearest trees were about 20 ft. away. Is that too far to get a decent reflection and image?

• First setup of my new M-888 resulted in color photos and videos during the day with no problem, but nighttime photos are blank as frankdn describes above on Sept 28. It's securely but not over-tightly strapped to the chimnea on the patio. Firmware is up to date. Should I also give it several whacks or is there another solution?

• Out moultrie trail camera has stopped flashing at night. Pictures are black. We took the batteries out and pressed the reset button so we will find out tonight if that helped. Question, if the flash is burned out can it be replaced?
  • @kaydidid Verify that the camera has fresh batteries (reference to the “batteries” question) and a working SD Card (reference to the “SD card” question) inserted. Follow the steps below based on the year and series of the model of camera that you have. Repeat the procedure 2-3 times. If the problem is still not resolved, call customer service. 1-800-653-3334.
    IR Filter Troubleshooting:

For 2013 Cameras:

1. Verify that the Camera has fresh batteries and a working SD Card inserted
    2. Turn Camera On (A-Series, skip to step 6)
    3. Select “Motion Detect” mode from settings
    4. Cover BOTH image sensor and photocell (If applicable)
    5. Wait for Photo to be taken, listen for filter “click”
    6. Repeat Steps 3-7, removing step 6 (Do not cover sensors)
    7. If problem persists, repeat procedure 2-3 times.
    8. If problem still not resolved, send camera in for repair.

For 2014 Cameras:

2. Turn Camera On (A-Series, skip to step 6)
    3. Select “Motion Detect” mode from settings
      4.Press “Enter/OK” – “Confirm test Capture” should display.
    4. Press > Arrow
    5. Cover BOTH image sensor and photocell (If applicable)
    6. Wait for Photo to be taken, listen for filter “click&rdquo
    7. Repeat Steps 3-7, removing step 6 (Do not cover sensor or photocell)
    8. If problem persists, repeat procedure 2-3 times.
    9. If problem is still not resolved, customer service. 1-800-653-3334

For 2015, 2016 & 2017 Cameras:

2. Turn Camera On
    3. Select “Motion Detect” mode from settings or “ON” for A-series.
      4.Cover the image sensor. (Do NOT actually touch the glass, just cover).
    4. Wait for Photo to be taken, listen for filter “click”
    5. Repeat Steps 3 & 5, removing step 4 (Do not cover sensor)
    6. If problem persists, repeat procedure 2-3 times.
    7. If problem is still not resolved, customer service. 1-800-653-3334
  • edited December 2017

(This problem resembles an issue I had with the M-880)
    Disclaimer: Always perform Moultrie's recommended procedures and corrective actions. They are the true experts. As I am a retired field service engineer with 30+ years of experience in electronics, I have always assumed (sometimes mistakenly) that if I am able to perform a procedure, then anyone can. So please understand that it is possible to permanently destroy a camera with the information provided herein.
    My situation: I have four M-880 Gen II cameras out of warranty. One by one, the cameras began to take pictures of glowing eyes with no visible form after dark. The daytime pictures appeared OK, however, the colors were a bit off. I spoke with Moultrie support (very nice people) and then performed all of the procedures they recommended, but with no success.
    Extremely long story short: I discovered that the camera lens filter (all four cameras) had gotten out of sync somehow and was operating 180 degrees out of phase. In other words, the daylight filter was activating after dark, and the night time filter was activating during the day. There are two paired sets of red and black wires inside the M-880. One pair of red and black wires connect to the battery box and supply power to the circuit card. The other pair of red and black wires control the lens filter motor. By reversing the red and black lens filter motor wires-- Red to B and Black to R (on circuit card)-- I was able to get the cameras to operate properly once again. There may be an easier or simpler solution out there, but this was the only procedure that worked for me. Good luck!