Ask a Moultrie Expert

Comments

• edited August 2017

@slatinanature, this is interesting. I'm looking at the date modified. I just tried Windows and the dates are OK using Windows File Explorer. The difference I noted happens on Linux Mint (Ubuntu), using the Nemo file manager or just ls -l in bash. My TZ offset is UTC-4. Maybe Linux is interpreting the timestamps as UTC and then applying a -4 offset.

Update: I just took a freshly formatted SD card, saved a file on it with Windows, then moved it to Linux and I see the same issue so it looks like it doesn't have anything to do with the trail cam. Had not noticed this before. Not sure exactly what's going on yet but thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.

• In your case, seems like Linux is probably the culprit. Personally, I've never used Linux so I'm afraid I can't give you any other tips.

• @slatinanature, fair enough although in my experience it usually pays to suspect Windows first. Another factor may be that I have my hardware RTCs set to UTC so as to avoid a time discrepancy in dual-boot situations. Normally Windows sets the RTC to local time which is a good example of a dumb Windows design choice. I can probably figure it out from here, thanks again!

• My modem will not register my camera and your customer service number is basically non existent! How long do I have to return my camera, cell modem, and be reimbursed for the $30 data plan
  • It should be, I just bought it brand new a series w-30i
  • On m40I how do you clear the total byte count from this camera?

• @levimcdaniel Are you unable to find the CS number or just having a tough time getting through to them? Mondays are usually pretty packed for those guys with people queuing up questions over the weekend and then bombarding them monday morning.

As for the camera itself, if it's a newer camera it should definitely be compatible, so let's run through a couple of quick questions:

Do you have a security code set on the camera?
    Is the SD Card formatted inside the camera (to ensure compatibility)?
    When you have the modem/camera connected and hit the test button on the side of the modem, does the camera go into USB CONNECTED mode (should be visible on the display of the camera).

@jsn I'm not exactly sure what you mean; are you talking about the pictures taken vs. pictures remaining number?

• edited August 2017
    Ninjaneer... no my sd card doesn't have a password, and yes the camera says USB connected
  • No security code for camera, the same card has taken a 1000 or pics in same camera with no problem, yesterday removed card and card had zero pics, batteries still above 50% too. looked to settings on card and saw the free byte count # on camera and then total byte size exceeds the free byte #.

• @jsn said:
    No security code for camera, the same card has taken a 1000 or pics in same camera with no problem, yesterday removed card and card had zero pics, batteries still above 50% too. looked to settings on card and saw the free byte count # on camera and then total byte size exceeds the free byte #.

Not sure if I understand this correctly.
    I'm thinking there was a problem with the card and that's why it had no pics stored (faulty card maybe). And the exeeded free byte # could mean that your camera has internal memory to where it has stored some pics because the card was not working.
    I guess you may be able to clear the byte # by formating the camera without the card inside.

Have you tried a different card?

• @levimcdaniel Well, the only other thing I could suggest would be to make sure the SD card in the camera generates a settings.xml file in the root directory after taking a picture - if it is, then your best bet is definitely going to lay with customer service.

@jsn The settings.xml file is generated by the camera, as such you can't really reset any values in there (Please don't attempt to, it might cause bad things to happen). The free byte count is always going to be at least a little lower than the total byte count (because the settings.xml file takes up a little room in the first place). What is it saying the free byte count is; I.E. is it saying free bytes are 0?

• We purchased two M999i cameras and modems. Have great daytime pictures but very black nighttime pics with just some tree limbs illuminated. Anything further than a few feet are black.Batteries are fresh. What could could be the issue?

• @lcuster380 said:
    We purchased two M999i cameras and modems. Have great daytime pictures but very black nighttime pics with just some tree limbs illuminated. Anything further than a few feet are black.Batteries are fresh. What could could be the issue?

Sounds like the led's aren't working.

• @lcuster380 What does the background of the picture look like? if it's a wide open field with just a few limbs in the corners then there is little to nothing for the IR light to be bounced back to the image sensor. You can send me (via private message) a daytime picture and I can evaluate the scene, see if I can provide any tips that might improve the illumination profile.

• @cynthtoots73 Give our customer service team a call and we will see what we can do for you. 1-800-653-3334

• How do you add a nother mobile device to an existing account for I can view both camera on one account.
    Thanks
  • Never mind figured it out couldn't do it on my phone had to use computer.
  • @birving Let us know if you have any other questions!

• I have the same concern on my M-999i.

• I have a brand new 180i panoramic. I need help. I can't get it to just take individual letterbox format pictures. No matter what I set the settings to I get panoramic shots. I can't believe I can't figure this out. Yes...I have multi shot off. Yes...I have panoramic set to NO. What am I missing?

• Select single zone in options, multi shot can be on and it will just take more photos.
    Have you checked if the latest firmware is installed?

• I have inherited a I-60 series trail camera and the LCD screen is dead. It still takes pictures but I would like to get the screen working again.

I have done some searching on the site here to no avail. I called customer service and evidently there are no screens left to change it out. There are YouTube videos of replacing it and repairing it but none of them have any part numbers for the LCD screen and a lot of the references are quite old.

Is there anywhere that I can get a replacement screen or does anyone have a part number for a replacement one?

• @AD_4 said:
    I have the same concern on my M-999i. I can't arm the camera and have it take pictures all night!!!!! Why only 6 pm to midnight or 1pm until 6am???

• I am new to the Moultrie modem/camera systems. I purchased one, and set the account up and everything, however, I had bought 2 systems, and am trying to get the 2nd camera/modem to show up on the web account, but after registering the 2nd modem, I can't even find how to set up the 2nd camera. Additionally, the 2nd modem does not show up yet when I tried to "add modem" again, it would not let me because it noted the email address already exists. Anyway, I guess I don't get why I can't see the second modem/camera, and in fact I cant find out how to install the second camera in the web account.

• @Kmarrs The second system won't appear on your dashboard until it's been hooked up to a live camera and communicates with the server.

The procedure would be: Turn camera on, let it take a picture, plug modem into camera, press TEST button on the side of the modem.

The lights on the side should come on and after it cycles through everything (make sure both the camera and server lights on the modem come on) it should show up on your dashboard.

• Can I ask if you set for uploading once or twice a day versus immediately... what times does it upload or can you set it?

Lastly, I don't want camera shots on time lapse at all yet I noticed there is no "offf" for that.. I just want my cameras to shoot "when something triggers the motion sensor"... do I need to set up anything special?
  • @Kmarrs The time is set randomly by the server, most commonly between 10 and 1 (am/pm, depending on if you set once/twice).

You just need to make sure the trigger mode is motion detect and not timelapse or hybrid.