Micro-USB

Sorry I just posted but didn’t show in the forum?

Is the camera to modem cable just a standard USB to Micro USB cable? I lost one and used my phone charger micro usb, camera shows USB connected but modem doesn’t see it..

Comments

• Manual says micro usb and usb, but mentions holes not being visible. Maybe something to do with depth due to the sleeve on the plug?

• I found the OEM cable in my truck.. just need to get back out there to swap them. If someone who knows specifics could answer the questions may be helpful to others in the future.. certainly helpful for me should I ever lose one again..
  • @Moultrieuser We do not recommend using a regular USB cable, as it is not water resistant and can mess up your cameras and modems with water damage. We sell extra USB cables on our website. It doesnt hurt to stock up on a few extra, just in case :)

• @Moultrie_Queen said:
    @Moultrieuser We do not recommend using a regular USB cable, as it is not water resistant and can mess up your cameras and modems with water damage. We sell extra USB cables on our website. It doesnt hurt to stock up on a few extra, just in case :)

Old thread alert.
    These extra USB cables on your website, are they longer? Or do you know where a longer cable can be sourced?
    For security and reception, I wish to place the modem further away (higher) from the camera. Or is extending the cable asking for operation trouble?

• edited December 2017

@mjacxx Distance from the modem to camera isn't really going to cause you trouble as the cable connects them so it's not like your modem in your house connecting to your laptop via wireless.

Here's my suggestion, take it for what it's worth. I place all of my setups about 10-12 feet above the ground. I do it for several reasons but in your case, that would help with reception. You just have to point it down at the ground. This would allow you to use the more weather resistant USB cable with the rubber boots yet get it up higher to maybe help with reception.

• Full disclosure, I've never tested the signal from ground level vs. 10 ft so I can't state with certainty that it will improve. I wouldn't anticipate a lot of change, but you may see some improvement.
  • I don't know that it's been tested, but a longer usb cable could actually be a detriment as it would act as an unintentional antenna and reflect spurious emissions into the surrounding area and increase the noise floor - not to mention the (low) possibility that those spurious emissions could knock it out of FCC Part 15-B certification; thus making it essentially an illegal device.

• I'm picturing in my head an electronic fog hovering around my modem in the woods. With sparks flying. Govt workers in white coats with clip boards measuring the atmosphere. @Ninjaneer broke the forum with that explanation.

• Hi...what I said could possibly be made to work would require different parts, since the ones I listed were for the barrel connectors that are common for 12VDC supplies.
    I am not aware of any PoC to USB power converters. And I did a quick google search and only found video converters that were powered by the USB.

• @CobbKanki I'm not following you, sorry. What exactly are you talking about?