Suggested Enhancements?

Comments

• Idk if anyone has suggested this. Since your able to make changes to camera settings through the app. Would it be possible to have an option to make the camera do a reset the next time the modem checks in?

I ask this because yesterday I shut my camera off while I was working in front of it. Then I turned it on and left. Well I should have stuck around to make sure it was working because it seems to be not working. It would be handy to be able to request the camera turn off then back on. A lot of times that will fix any problems with it.
  • I'm not sure how the modem and camera read and interpret the battery voltage to produce the % of battery. I'm guessing they read actual voltage (either with the internal AA or the remote source via the 12V plug) and convert battery voltage to a %. There is probably a line of code in every transmission, and maybe the Moultrie server turns that code into a battery % ?
    My suggestion for an improvement is to offer the choice of reading battery % or actual battery voltage on the website and app, for the modem and camera. This would be beneficial in so many ways.
    thank you

• Is there any possible way of having remote reset capability. Last and all check ins showed the camera running with 100% across the board. Signal and battery which is the moultrie solar power panel. Modem/camera worked good for 3 weeks and now it quit checking in. A way of pinging the camera/modem remotely would actually make it better than a conventional trail camera.
  • So, as I am sure you are aware, Cuddeback has a mesh network to connect their cameras to a home camera and then uses a modem to upload photos(although have not been made avail yet). Maybe you could take the current modem and modify it to be a data forwarder to a master unit which would then 4G it to the cloud. In that config you would attach your current camera's to a forwarding modem and the new master would upload. Making use of existing tech and the new and coming tech. Just a thought.

• Any chance you guys can make a dark colored USB cable? Common sense tells me you can't conceal a nice bright shiny cable that is SILVER!

• @dpekera said:
    Any chance you guys can make a dark colored USB cable? Common sense tells me you can't conceal a nice bright shiny cable that is SILVER!

I guess that means you found your issue. USB cord disconnected?

Spray paint works well. I think Moultrie has said before you can use other cables but it's at your own risk. Likely a liability reason but I would assume any DATA USB cable would work.

• edited September 2018
    At my own risk might be better. At the moment myself and a couple others can't get anything to load in app AGAIN. MOULTRIE YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE CUSTOMERS IF YOU CAN'T GET THIS CRAP STRAIGHTENED OUT!
  • @dpekera said:
    At my own risk might be better. At the moment myself and a couple others can't get anything to load in app AGAIN. MOULTRIE YOU ARE GOING TO LOSE CUSTOMERS IF YOU CAN'T GET THIS CRAP STRAIGHTENED OUT!

Did you log out and back in? Others have reported that fixed their issue.

• @dpekera Definitely try logging out and logging back in!

• Throwing another enhancement out there. It seems that a common trouble shooting issue that users have is that the USB gets disconnected from the modem. While the separate units are certainly a selling point, it also creates confusion on diagnosing issue.

What if you were able to see on the camera dashboard the last time the camera connected with the modem? Similarly to when the modem last checked in.

• > @RocklockHunter said:
    > Throwing another enhancement out there. It seems that a common trouble shooting issue that users have is that the USB gets disconnected from the modem. While the separate units are certainly a selling point, it also creates confusion on diagnosing issue.
    >
    > What if you were able to see on the camera dashboard the last time the camera connected with the modem? Similarly to when the modem last checked in.

Along the USB lines....... How about a solid connection. Snap in or along those lines? Some kind of audible click when it locks into position and can't fall out
  • As they attach now........a falling acorn could knock it out of connection
  • Bring back the data graph in the app.
  • The ability to have more than 1 number receive notifications would be an advantage. Please change the app so that more than 1 telephone number can receive notifications.

• @bwrebel said:
    The ability to have more than 1 number receive notifications would be an advantage. Please change the app so that more than 1 telephone number can receive notifications.

Hey @bwrebel , just so you are aware, any user who has the app and has access to the account can receive push notifications on their phone as long as it's enabled in the settings.

I was in the same boat you are with multiple guys going in on the equipment, (share the cost/share the benefit) and having them logged into the app fixes that issue.

• Rocklockhunter, thanks for the heads up. We use the cameras for hog trapping. Sons/inlaws and I take watches over the night shift. Pigs seem to have a sixth sense for sleepy camera watchers... you'd think with all this tech we'd be able to outsmart the suckers by at least 1% but..... So taking baby steps, if they log on to my account they don't have to change the phone number, just check the box and enable push notifications on their phone? So configured, I guess they get all push notifications from every app on their phone not just the Moultrie app? Forgive me, I'm not the most tech-savy, digital displays that blink 12 cause me panic at times.

• @bwrebel Yep. Have them all download the app, then they can log into it with the same credentials for the account the modem is registered with. Make sure push notifications are enabled in the Settings. Then, whoever is logged in will get a notification of a new pic.

They very well may have other apps they're getting notifications from, but the Moultrie notification will be different. It will have the Moultrie logo and say that new images are available.

• Need to changed the data plans. There are other camera brands, that I won’t name, where if you already have a Verizon account for your cell phone you can add the trail camera to that account for $5 a month with unlimited data. I don’t see why Moultrie wouldn’t be able to get this deal from Verizon.
  • @RTR said:
    Add some indicator of when the last time the modem connected to the server. There is a last activity indicator, but that seems to be the last activity on the camera.

Even better, add ability to initiate a force connect. Seems communication is only one way when the camera wakes up. Is there no way to wake the modem up? Would be the same as the manual press of the Test button. Why not allow that remotely? For example, allow sending a request to snap a photo on the camera then send immediately. You could tell if the camera is still positioned correctly, etc.

Or better yet, how about a system that doesn't drop out all the time? I just got done being told by CS that I should clear my memory card and reinsert. They see my modem and camera. Which was funny cause at the time I could too, because their response was almost a week later. Here I am again, the website doesn't see any pictures on my account, even though I am getting texts that I have recent images that I need to view... A simple stable product would be awesome...

• Where are you as far being able to push the firmware updates to the camera through the modem? I noticed a post last year where someone has asked about this and MoultrieMobile responded and said it was in the works..
  • @JAPA11 If it was ever going to happen, I imagine it would happen during new platforms each year. They generally release new camera models around the first of the year with improvements from last year, etc.

• How about making the desktop able to change pictures with the arrow keys instead of having to hit the previous and next buttons

• Your cameras should have a photo plus video mode.

So the camera would take a photo and then start taking a video. And if you want you could request the video to be sent after you see the photo.
  • @Jriedy85 said:
    Your cameras should have a photo plus video mode.

So the camera would take a photo and then start taking a video. And if you want you could request the video to be sent after you see the photo.

Several of the Moultrie cameras do have Video+Picture capabilities. In fact, I have a M40i in the field as we speak in that mode.

• I guess I mean that it should be capable with the Moultrie Modems then. Id like to be able to request a video after I see a photo. It’s my understanding that they don’t transmit videos currently with the modem.
  • I guess in time it will happen. Gonna be a reduced quality or a long upload for it to happen. And the camera may not work while it uploads. Not to mention the amount of data a video would probably burn through. It's coming I'm sure.

• There are other brands of cellular cameras that do this. And the videos look great and don’t take forever to upload. It doesn’t take my phone very long to send a 10 second video to a friend. That’s all these modems are doing. Data is another story. I think Moultrie needs to work out better data packages. I know other brands you can just add the modem to your existing cell plan and get unlimited data.
  • Your phone has quite a lot of video processing power, and when you send a video to someone it's compressed and designed for that - if you look at the raw video file, it's much larger than the one that gets texted/sent via snapchat and stuff.

I know they just updated their data packages, which seem to be a bit easier to swallow than the others. I think the main problem behind just adding it to your cell plan is that then you have to deal with the cell provider for any troubleshooting, etc.

• I agreee @Ninjaneer one of the many reasons I like Moultrie over the other options is that it takes the cell carrier out of the picture. (no pun intended)